Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #21
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: EU mamas-what laundry detergent do you use?

I recently found out that you should not use powder detergent for washing hemp (this was according to the Didymos website- explanation only in German under "Pflegehinweise" and "Erläuterung"), as the particles can get caught in between the fiber bundles and damage the fibers when the fabric dries and shrinks (this advice goes for linen too, btw). Since I like my hemp and don't want to ruin it (any more than having washed it already for three months with powder has done).

So I've been using soap nuts with my front loader not quite so full. Results are OK, as long as I thoroughly spray off poopy dipes before washing. On a German language-forum, I've picked up that soap nuts are not all as green as they're advertised. Something about the way they are harvested and abuses of workers... Should read more, but as I don't like the results that much, I haven't. So I ordered some liquid detergent from Alawin this week at the Reformhaus. Will let you know how the diaper test goes.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #22
apriltgc
Registered Users

I'm in Spain and used Elena and completely ruined my BumGenius 2.0 diapers. The leg elastic is non-existent and they seem to be repelling. I don't know what else it could be but the detergent. I tried stripping the microfiber, but it hasn't seemed to work yet. Very sad

We are expecting #2 in November, DD is already potty trained, so we'll give it another round then. I've been using Ecobola Irisana for our laundry for the last 6 months and am pretty happy with it. We'll see how it stands up to newborn diapers!
apriltgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:12 AM   #23
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm using AlmaWin liquid öko konzentrat now for all dipes and it's doing the job better than soap nuts. Smells good too.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tide Original Scent works wonders for us

ETA: oops, sorry didn't see the EU Mamas
threestraycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #25
derexie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi,

I'm in Czech Republic and for diapers and kid's clothing (and actually now for pretty much everything) use just non-scent soap and soda (make a jelly and wash with it). If I feel like I add some essential oil for nice scent. I add vinegar to the last rinse. I use it even for wool, but I'm not very gentle with wool anyway, I use it... And no issues so far, I have been using this for over a year now, save on costs and am environment friendly. The diapers aren't what you would call bright white, but at least I know I don't add anything bad into them. I wash biocotton with this as well maintaining it bio

Terezie
derexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #26
Trauem Was Schoenes
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungratefulbiped View Post
Ariel are Tide, it's just the name P&G use in europe. I love Ariel/Tide as it smells like home to me! I buy the tablets and use a half a tablet unless it's a really poopy/big load and then i use one tablet. Been working great for us!
I also had no clue that Ariel was tide!Thanks for mentioning that
Trauem Was Schoenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #27
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry to top an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm SO SO happy to have found this forum and thread. I'm an American expat in the Netherlands and due with my first in March. We are cloth diapering, but most of the first hand info I have acquired and info found in my research comes from American sources (still working on my Dutch). Many issues like using front loaders and which detergents to use remained a mystery to me after many weeks of searching! Not anymore Thanks for the helpful info, EU mommies.
Nijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #28
funkyspam
Registered Users

Nijntje, exact same feelings here... and I am actually Dutch!

I'm surprised at the big difference between info and use of cloth diapers in NL. Have been searching since I was halfway through my pregnancy, but the most usefull info is what I have found the last week on UK and US sites.

And sorry, I'm stuck in the dutch detergent use as well. There is a dutch forum, but there they mostly mentions '1/4 of the amount of detergent advised' and 'vinegar'... ?!

Anyway, just happy that it turns out that I'm not the only one...
funkyspam is offline   Reply With Quote