Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #21
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Preemie baby and BF...Is it possible?

I just got back from the nursery and she actually latched on!!!!!

My last attepmt was horrible to say the least. She was NOT having it and pitched a fit. I talked to my MW and the LC and she spoke to the nurses in the nursery. The LC also told me to bring y pump to the nursery and use it to let the milk down so she wouldnt have to pull so long to get the milk and it seemed to work. We only had to fight for 10 min to get her on! LOL!

Her nurse for the night was very helpful. She actually helped. Most NICU nurses arent even trying to hear BF, ya know? I was grateful for her help.

I got her to nurse from both sides and when I switched to the other side she latched on with no problems.

Now I have to work on getting my supply up with only a pump and no baby. *sigh* I DO NOT do well with pumps, I dont care how good the pump is. My MW has some Mother Milk tea I think for me to pick up tomorrow so I'll be trying that.

Thanks for all your help ladies!

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #22
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
I just got back from the nursery and she actually latched on!!!!!

My last attepmt was horrible to say the least. She was NOT having it and pitched a fit. I talked to my MW and the LC and she spoke to the nurses in the nursery. The LC also told me to bring y pump to the nursery and use it to let the milk down so she wouldnt have to pull so long to get the milk and it seemed to work. We only had to fight for 10 min to get her on! LOL!

Her nurse for the night was very helpful. She actually helped. Most NICU nurses arent even trying to hear BF, ya know? I was grateful for her help.

I got her to nurse from both sides and when I switched to the other side she latched on with no problems.

Now I have to work on getting my supply up with only a pump and no baby. *sigh* I DO NOT do well with pumps, I dont care how good the pump is. My MW has some Mother Milk tea I think for me to pick up tomorrow so I'll be trying that.

Thanks for all your help ladies!
i have a full box also if you want it. Just pm me.
I'm glad she latched on.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #23
smartie
Registered Users

My Mood:

YAY You go mama! My DD came home from the hospital at 4lbs 3oz. It took me a month to get her latched without the nipple shield. She became a nursing pro in no time. She will be 2 in jan and cannot leave the boob alone
Old 11-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #24
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great job mama! It took me six weeks to get dd fully on the breast... she started nursing a few days before her due date. Before that point we did a combo of breast/bottle until she was strong enough to nurse.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #25
momnb4
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had a preemie that was born at 34-35 weeks and because he had no resp issues just temp and sugars they let me nurse in recovery room and he had an IV and isolette until 24 hrs before going home!
He is now a year old and has been ebf anf has gone from 3lbs 14oz at birth to 21lbs!He is my fourth as well and I remember how tiring the first few months were but hang in there it gets better.GL mama
momnb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #26
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ladies.

She came home on Sat and she is on the breast sometimes and she refuses it other times. My supply is down to basically nothing b/c I have to rely on the pump to keep my supply going and I am HORRIBLE on the pump. Like, I get drops at a pumping session.

Its good to know all hope is not lost!