Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #351
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
I just wanted to give a quick update that my baby boy was NOT circ'd!!!! DH *finally* let me make the decision and was supportive of it. So, my little man was the first boy in my side of the famiy to be left intact!!! Hopefully, I've started a new thing!!!!!

I'm SO glad I left him intact and couldn't be happier!!!!

We were just at my brother and his family's house for Thanksgiving and she was shocked we didn't have him circ'd. I ended up leaving her speechless b/c I came back with every "concern" she had with a very good and true answer!

Thanks again for this thread and ALL of the support!!!

Advertisement

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #352
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

I have a question about the retracting of the foreskin- do most nurses and stuff at the hospital know not to do it?

We don't know the sex yet but I may end up with a repeat c/s and won't be there when they clean the baby off. I was explaining to DH that he will need to make sure they DON'T and I explained why, but he doesn't get it.

I just don't know if I should remind everyone, LOL, or they know.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #353
Everywhere
Registered Users

No, they don't. When my sister had a baby, I went with to the nursery for the daily exam because she was taking a shower and she didn't want baby to go alone.

The baby before us in line was a boy. The nurse doing the exam had a new nurse that she was orientating. The one nurse said to the new nurse, that she always pulls back the foreskin to check for hypospadias. She sat there and tried and tried and tried to pull the skin back, as the baby was screaming, and she finally stopped because it wouldn't go back. She then told the nurse that that baby would have to be checked out because there was probably something wrong with his penis

Later on, when there was another nurse in the nursery doing a test on my niece, I asked her if they routinely retract baby boys, her eyes got wide and she said "NO" She said that if you try to do that the foreskin can actually get stuck behind the glans, and you are never supposed to do it. She was very young though. The nurse that was doing all the retracting was fairly old.

So yea, some nurses know and some don't.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #354
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow. I read all 9 pages and this has been a most interesting thread. I never knew any of this stuff. I have a 9 yr old and he is circd and I have 3 other daughters. I am not having anymore children but if I had another son I wouldnt have his done.

The only thing I find incredibly hard to believe is that the DRs wouldnt use anything to prevent the babys from feeling pain. I just cant believe that, not b/c it was done to my son but because that seems so ridiculous and cruel.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #355
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
Wow. I read all 9 pages and this has been a most interesting thread. I never knew any of this stuff. I have a 9 yr old and he is circd and I have 3 other daughters. I am not having anymore children but if I had another son I wouldnt have his done.

The only thing I find incredibly hard to believe is that the DRs wouldnt use anything to prevent the babys from feeling pain. I just cant believe that, not b/c it was done to my son but because that seems so ridiculous and cruel.
They didn't with my son. I asked them to (I didn't want the circumcision done, but left the decision up to dh, stupidly), and they told me the needle used for the anesthetic was more painful than the circumcision, so not wanting my son to be in MORE pain, I allowed them to do it with just the sugar water My poor baby

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #356
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post

It takes too long. Circumcisions are done all at once in the morning. The nurses prepare the babies by strapping them down to the circumstraint (a molded plastic tray with straps to tie down the arms and legs.) Then the doctor goes down the line, boom boom boom. Five minutes, tops, for each surgery. Anesthesia takes too long for many doctors to wait. It takes 15-30 minutes for an injectable anesthetic to take effect. Like at the dentist, if you ever get a filling, first they put some numbing cream on the site where they are going to do the injection. They wait for that to take effect (5 minutes or so.) Then they do the actual injection. Then they let you sit in the chair for 15-30 minutes for the anesthetic to kick in. Then they check you for numbness and inject more if needed. Then they drill. Then after that you take some painkillers. This is for your teeth, and you know what is happening, and they stop if you are in pain. Not so for the babies. Even if they get the anesthesia, it doesn't block the vagus nerve which innervates the underside of the penis (only the dorsal nerve which is on the top.) And then they get no pain relief afterward. Surgery is most painful on the day after, and by that point, the baby is peeing and pooping right on the incision wound.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #357
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is a picture of a circumstraint.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #358
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is an article that as recently as 1997, only 4% of babies got anesthesia.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #359
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

My doctor did say they give the babies anesthesia when they do it, and from what I understood she would be the one actually doing it, which I didn't love because she is a GP. I mean, I love her but how many can she actually do a year?

That was our discussion until I found out DD1 was a girl, otherwise we honestly probably would have done it, I didn't know any different then.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #360
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaGirl82 View Post
My doctor did say they give the babies anesthesia when they do it, and from what I understood she would be the one actually doing it, which I didn't love because she is a GP. I mean, I love her but how many can she actually do a year?

That was our discussion until I found out DD1 was a girl, otherwise we honestly probably would have done it, I didn't know any different then.
Quote:
Pain relief:
  • Newborn babies do feel pain. Without pain relief, circumcision is painful. Acetaminophen (such as Tempra or Tylenol) or EMLA cream, which numbs the skin, won’t be enough.
From Canadian Pediatric Society website
http://www.cps.ca/caringforkids/preg...rcumcision.htm

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote