Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Popcorn linked to infertility!

My dh just heard this on the radio and I googled it. I ALWAYS ate popcorn!!! That is one of my favorite things....and I also struggled with infertility. There was another link posted on DS awhile back from Preventative magazine that stated that microwave popcorn is one of the worst things a person can eat. So anyways here is the info.

Microwave Popcorn

The expert: Olga Naidenko, PhD, a senior scientist for the Environmental Working Group,

The problem: Chemicals, including perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), in the lining of the bag, are part of a class of compounds that may be linked to infertility in humans, according to a recent study from UCLA. In animal testing, the chemicals cause liver, testicular, and pancreatic cancer. Studies show that microwaving causes the chemicals to vaporize—and migrate into your popcorn. "They stay in your body for years and accumulate there," says Naidenko, which is why researchers worry that levels in humans could approach the amounts causing cancers in laboratory animals. DuPont and other manufacturers have promised to phase out PFOA by 2015 under a voluntary EPA plan, but millions of bags of popcorn will be sold between now and then.

The solution: Pop natural kernels the old-fashioned way: in a skillet. For flavorings, you can add real butter or dried seasonings, such as dillweed, vegetable flakes, or soup mix.

Advertisement

jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Popcorn linked to infertility!

Oh my goodness, you scared me, then I read that it was microwave popcorn.......phew, I am safe, I don't have a microwave(haven't had one in 2 years) and would rather have my popcorn popped on the stove or by air popper!

I do think that this is a little far fetched, maybe they need to look into the soy that all women are ingesting now, and how it is a phytoestrogen.....my RE demanded that I stay away from anything soy from now on, even though I stay away from it because of my thyroid issues......but she believes that soy if a direct factor to infertility!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

Oh wow. I'm not TTC or anything... But we have a HUGE box of microwaveable popcorn in our pantry. That is so scary
Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wowzer...i don't eat it either (have an air popper) but scary stuff.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm, I eat a lot of popcorn (microwaved) and haven't had fertility problems. Sounds a little far fetched.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you'd have to eat quite a lot for it to have any effect. The odd bag won't hurt!!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Sernade
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have fertility issues and I don't eat popcorn. I don't like how the little pieces get between my gums and teeth and pretty much never eat the stuff no matter how it's cooked. /shugs My husband and his sister was raised on microwave everything... including popcorn, eating the stuff every time they watch a movie. No issues at all in their entire family.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know about this one. I mean, I agree that microwave popcorn isn't really that great for a person, but I don't know that it causes infertility.

Correlation does not equal causation. You can correlate darn near any 2 things, but that doesn't mean it's actually causing it.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I just thought it was interesting and wanted to post for info only.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
attachedmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is a study that just came out about some dangerous /safety issues with certain things. Microwaved popcorn is on the list along with canned tomatoes and farm raised salmon. Check out this article. One would want to consider staying away from microwaved popcorn for reasons other then just possible links to infertility (which i beleive would have to be in large amounts as stated by someone above)...anyway...read this article...quite interesting:
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-7-foods-experts-wont-eat-547963/