Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

Doubling the recipe?

I'm not much of a cook, though I can follow a recipe, so I need a little help with this. I am making some cheesy au gratin potatoes for a pot luck and I want to double the recipe since its for a big group. But what about cooking time?? The recipe calls for 90 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees. Do I need to lengthen the cooking time? I don't want to undercook it.

Thanks Mamas!!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
momma4of6
Registered Users
seller

Re: Doubling the recipe?

do you have a crockpot...if so i would recommend that methode, just cook all day

Time all depends on size of pan etc,

you wont want to double the time, but you will want to add time, but that will vaire depending on how its made, if the recipe calles for an 8x8 pan and you double it putting it in a 9X13 pan it wont take much longer at all.

if it calls for a 9x13 and you fill it to the brim then you will definatle need to add time,
however if you put it in TWO 9x13 pans then it would take about the same time

it all depends on how its cooks.....

btw- 90 minutes on 400 seems like a really long time, if the potatoes are sliced....I make a huge pan of sliced baked potatoes all the time, and it takes about 45 mins....an hour if it is full of sauce
momma4of6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

90 does seem like a long time, doesn't it. The recipe got good reviews though. It calls for a 1 qt dish. I am going to double it and put it in a 2.5 quart dish. So it probably won't be any deeper than the original. Any advice on how much longer to cook the potatoes?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
momma4of6
Registered Users
seller

give your self 2 hours, you can always reheat, I would start checking it at 1 hour, use a fork it you cant tell just taste a piece, then check every 10-15 mins til done.
I would NOT wait the whole 90 mins to check it, also is it being cooked covered? If not the top will brown too much before its done, esp at that temp
momma4of6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4of6 View Post
give your self 2 hours, you can always reheat, I would start checking it at 1 hour, use a fork it you cant tell just taste a piece, then check every 10-15 mins til done.
I would NOT wait the whole 90 mins to check it, also is it being cooked covered? If not the top will brown too much before its done, esp at that temp
I agree with this.

Also, if the top is starting to brown, but the potatoes aren't done yet, you can cover the dish with some aluminum foil. It won't slow down the cooking time at all, but it'll keep the top from getting too done while you're waiting on the potatos to get softer.

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4of6 View Post

Yes, it will be cooked covered but I'll probably uncover the last bit to get the top a little brown. Thanks for all the advice! I'll start checking around 1 hour and see how it goes!