Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

Marinated Garlic Recipe?

I had marinated garlic and my husband and I LOVED it! I would like to try to make it for DH for Christmas ...does anyone have a recipe. The one that we tried was similar to an olive brine? Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Marinated Garlic Recipe?

Pickled Garlic:
12 large heads garlic, about 838 g (1 3/4 lb)
625 mL (21/2 cups) white vinegar
250 mL (1 cup) dry white wine
15 mL (1 tbsp) pickling salt
15 mL (1 tbsp) granulated sugar
15 mL (1 tbsp) dried oregano
5 dried whole chili peppers

Separate garlic bulbs into cloves. To soften and loosen skins, blanch garlic cloves in rapidly boiling water 30 seconds; immediately immerse in cold water, drain and peel cloves.

Place 5 clean 250 or 236 mL Mason jars in a boiling water canner; fill with water, bring to a boil. Boil SNAP lids 5 minutes to soften sealing compound.

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, wine, pickling salt, sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil; boil gently 1 minute; remove from heat. Add peeled garlic cloves to hot vinegar mixture. Stir constantly 1 minute.

Pack garlic and 1 dried whole chili pepper into a hot jar to within 2 cm ( 3/4-inch) of top rim. Add hot liquid to cover garlic to within 1 cm (1/2-inch) of top rim (head space). Using rubber spatula, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Centre SNAP lid on jar; apply screw band just until fingertip tight. Place jar in canner. Repeat for remaining garlic and liquid.

Cover canner; return water to a boil. Process -- boil filled jars -- 10 minutes. Remove jars. Cool undisturbed 24 hours. Check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store in a cool, dark place.
Makes 5 250 or 236 mL jars.

Note: At elevations higher than 305 m (1,000 ft) increase processing time. Add 5 minutes at 306 to 915 m (1,000-3,000 ft); add 10 minutes at 916 to 1830 m (3,001-6,000 ft); add 15 minutes at elevations higher than 1831 m (6,0001 ft).

Warning: This recipe was specially formulated to allow home canners to preserve a low acid food -- garlic -- in a commonly available boiling water canner. Please do not deviate from the recipe ingredients; quantities, jar size and processing method and time. Any change could affect the safety of the end product.
To 75 cloves of garlic,
Peeled
1 cup Extra virgin olive oil
cup Fresh lemon juice (or
Balsamic vinegar)
teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Freshly ground or cracked
Black pepper
1 tablespoon Herbs (oregano is nice, or
Create your own mixture)

Start by peeling all that garlic. Now bring a saucepan of water to boil. Once the water is boiling, turn off heat and drop garlic cloves into hot water. Let sit in water for 3 to 5 minutes. (Use the shorter time if you like a sharper raw garlic flavor; the longer time results in a much milder garlic flavor.) Remove garlic and plunge into (or rinse thoroughly with) cold water to stop the cloves from "cooking" any further. Dissolve the salt into the lemon juice. Now make a "viniagrette" with the olive oil, lemon juice/salt, pepper and herbs. Place garlic into jars and pour oil mixture to top the cloves. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 week. After one week, eat straight (or, for the faint of heart, slice up garlic and mix with your salad greens). Be sure to keep refrigerated. I don't know how long this will last in the refrigerator
Another Recipe for Marinated Garlic

* 30 garlic cloves, peeled*
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 4 sprigs fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions

Blanch the whole cloves of garlic in boiling water for 5 minutes; remove, and plunge into cold water. Drain and dry off the garlic.
Mix the remaining ingredients (except the fresh oregano sprigs) in a blender until emulsified. If using dried oregano toss it in with the oil and vinegar.
Put the cloves in a jar and cover with the marinade, tuck the sprigs of oregano into the jar. Cover and allow it to marinate for at least 5 days in the refrigerator. Serve as is for a snack or side dish or add to a green salad.
Don't be surprised if a couple of people polish off the whole batch in one sitting! I had tried several other marinated garlic recipes before this one and was not happy with the results. This one is perfect!
*NOTE: You can double the garlic cloves and will still have enough dressing to cover. The marinade makes a fantastic salad dressing after you use up the garlic.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

THANK YOU Mama! I am going to try the refrigerated recipe since I am scared of canning....I can't wait to try it!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome well when you do Snap a Picture to Share the Beauty.... I am a HUGE fan of garlic but my family isn't so I love the Idea of marinating and caning them so When i want them they are there but the rest of the Family doesn't have to eat them and they don't go bad...