Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #41
Registered Users
Re: WTF Easter Basket *head desk*

I would just thank her and either eat it myself or give it to a family that may need/want it

Sara SAHM Johnny 6/13/00 TJaden 5/31/01 Soren 7/24/02 Lyndie 3/2/06 Wifey to Robert 12/19/98 Temperance Ilitha 12/29/07
mommabug42006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #42
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: WTF Easter Basket *head desk*

Originally Posted by Melissa~BHS View Post
I think you can be polite and thank her for her thoughfulness in remembering your dd, but at the same time let her know (gently) that you don't allow your child to have so much sugar. I would just say something like "my goodness - that is more sugar than she eats in an entire year!" If she doesn't get the hint, just give her what you want her to have and ditch the rest.
This is pretty much what I was going to say. I don't dissallow candy, as I know that once he got older and around other kids, he'd just rebel and end up hiding it if I prohibited it.

When he was the age of you DD though, I did very much the same thing. I didn't do organic or anything, but I didn't give him candy unles it was to share what I had, and that was fine with him. Even if I gave him a cookie he would usually eat only half and give the rest back and ask for an apple, LOL.

Now he's 5 though and of course would live off candy if I let him. LOL! This is what I started doing at about 3yrs. I go through whatever he gets for Halloween, Easter and Chritstmas and take out anything that is not age appropriate (I still don't give him hard candy or gum) and put the rest in a bucket and it goes up into a high cupboard in the kitchen. Then, at the end of the day, if he wants a peice and he's been good, he can have one. If he asks earlier in the day and made sure that he realized that was his one piece for the day. Then once in a while, I would made special acceptions if I felt appropriate. I was ok with my control over the candy and I was careful not to eat it infront of him unless I was planning on letting him have something.

Now that he is 5 and in kindergarden, I am letting him have a little more control over his candy/sweets consumption, but it's only to the point that he thinks he has some control. As a result, he almost always will save whatever someone gives him when not with me and asks if he can have it and is cooperative if I tell him he has to wait till later or can only eat some of it. I have let him indulge on occasion and this has not spoiled him... instead, it made him feel sick because his body isn't used to it. So far our plan works very well and he still enjoys fruit for snacks very much. I have even given him fruit snacks for lunch at school and then turned around and giving him a apple or pretzels another day and he totally does no mind.

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to completely keep candy away from her and trying to will likely do more harm than good in the future.

Also, I think that grandma's kinda enter some kind of altered state when buying for the grandkids. My mom is close and sees my kids all the time. She knows what I give them and don't, what they like, what I would like them to have as far as toys and whatnot... yet she still manages to come up with some of the strangest things for them. It's just a grandma thing. Unless you know her as totally unthinking and trying to undermine you, I would imagine she meant no illintentions and just wasn't thinking. Thank you for her kindness, with the above mentioned of the sweets. If it sinks in great, if not, giggle to yourself about it and eat the candy yourself, LOL!
Mommie to Holley, 2yo and Johnny, almost 6yo Decorated Eggs, gourds and more handmade gifts and keepsakes & crafting supplies
My online garage sale A little something for everyone!
mhibberd is offline   Reply With Quote