Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Confused about eggs

Originally Posted by Tootsiemomma View Post
Our old pedi tried to get me to give dd scrambled eggs at 6 months old, No way, I'm allergic to eggs and was way too afraid to give them to her. I started giving scrambled eggs to her at 15 months, she's done well with them.
So, for you, what was the diff. in giving them to her at 6m vs. 15m? Stronger immune system? Less chance of a reaction?
We don't have any food allergies in our families, so I'm pretty clueless here. (I didn't really know eggs were an allergen until recently) I'd like to ACT as if DD's at risk for allergies and act accordingly just to be safe, but am unsure as to how the timeline works for these cases.

Erika--Cloth Diapering (again!), Extended Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Signing and Delayed/Selective Vaxxing Mama to 7y/o Ramie, 4 y/o Reese and newbie Sebastian
beenwaitingalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Registered Users

This book is a great resource food guidelines. It's been my baby food bible for years.
She (Ruth Yaron) and most pedis recommend no egg whites until after a year old. For allergies, yes, but also because egg whites have the similar protein structure as milk (and other dairy), which is hard for little tummies to digest (hence, no cow's milk until after one year old). Same concept.
Egg yolks do have cholesterol, but at a year old, hardly a concern. It's got lot so good fat in it, too, for those growing brains.

Last edited by brooklynn; 04-03-2007 at 01:35 PM.
brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
Registered Users

My kids both loved the yolks of hard boiled eggs as one of their first finger foods. They are soft and can be cut into small chunks easy for little fingers to grab.
honeylocusthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #14
Registered Users

We tried Isaiah with egg yolks at 13 or 14 months, and found out that he's one of the few children who are severly allergic to the yolk! If there are no food allergies in your family then it's usually recommended by allergists (at least ours) that you can introduce egg yolks at around 1 year. Do be sure that you don't introduce any new foods at the same time, especially other foods that are considered high allergy foods, like peanuts and soy. Also, Isaiah didn't really have a reaction the first time he ate them, it was the second time that he did, so be sure to feed your little one the eggs a few times before introducing any other new foods!!
SAHM to ds1 4/01 ds2 7/03 and dd 7/07
jackie010307 is offline   Reply With Quote