Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

s/o- if your nursling is 3+years, do people know they're still nursing?

My DD1 is almost 4 and most people assume she stopped at least a year ago. (unless I've flat out told them she still nurses or they've seen her nursing...which is rare since she only nurses once a day at most usually) So I don't erally get anymore extended BF'ing comments because of that. Part of it irritates me, like I WANT the world to know because I want to normalize it and let them see that she's perfectly fine and they had no opinions when they DIDN'T know she was nursing so if they formed them once they found out, they clearly have nothing to base them on, ya know? But the other part of me is glad people don't know just because I hate dealing with negativity...I'm so far from a confrontational person that it's really difficult for me. Plus, I get enough of that for nursing through pregnancies (ha! if only they knew I was nursing TWO kids through this one!) and tandem nursing and nursing past 1-2 years, etc.

That said, when I get the chance to talk about it, I do...people should know it's normal, healthy, and that there are HUGE benefits (for one, my daughter is still emotionally attached to BF'ing and it wouldn't BENEFIT her to refuse her something that is still very important to her).

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o- if your nursling is 3+years, do people know they're still nursing?

I don't hide it, but it doesn't really get talked about much either. I'm not sure how much of my family knows. I know my mom knows (since she lives with us) and I'm pretty sure my sister knows. I doubt my dad does. MIL probably does. I think I mentioned it a few times. Younger SIL should know because I mentioned it in passing with DD2 was going to spend the night. No idea if anyone else does.
No one says anything though.