Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
liltxmomma
Registered Users
seller

how do i get the 'smell' out of them?

I know ive been asking alot of questions lately, and i appreciate all your answers! im so lost with this, anyway my latest question is:

what do i do to get the 'smell' out of my diapers? this is the first day we've used them, and i washed them, and they still smell really bad. definately not a clean smell. well one smells worse because he pooped in it.

what do you do?

Advertisement

liltxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do i get the 'smell' out of them?

wash them again!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we need details what kind of diapers are they? what did you wash them in? what tempeture water? ect.
mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm new at this, but what has worked for me is to put the laundry detergent in the first cold rinse ( we do have soft water, so it takes more rinses to get out all the soap). Then, I do a hot wash and soak with 1/2 c. Borax. With my pockets, I let them soak for an hour or so; with my inserts, overnight. Then, I rinse with some white vinegar. Next, I rinse again. If the soap bubbles are not rising to the top, I do the sniff test before I dry them. Still bubbles, I rinse again. HTH
Old 04-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

what kind of soap are you usibg, i would also buy some tea tree oil form wlamrt and add about 8-10 drops of it into the wash
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
liltxmomma
Registered Users
seller

One is a happy heiny, the other two are fuzz bunz. I did a cold rinse w/baking soda, and then a cold wash w/baking soda, purex free and clear, and a little vinegar in a downy ball, with an extra rinse, then i dried them in the dryer.
liltxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #7
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you have hard water it could be the vinegar. I would try washing them w/o the baking soda and vinegar to see if that helps.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am new to cding--and have done a total of 2 loads of diapers so far--and I was really surprised when they did come out smelling clean!! What I do: I throw in any messy dipes and rinse on cold. Then I start a hot wash with just a lil laundry detergent. Then I restart a cold wash--that I add no soap to--figure its about the same as a very thorough rinse. I check on the last rinse--and if there is any soap, I do another rinse cycle. So far I havent had to do any more than that!! And it seems to be working very well!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe wash in warm or hot? Cold just might not get them clean enough?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
clothmamaof4
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Water is a big factor, I went through several different washing methods before settling on one. I make suggestions for my diapers in the wash instructions I send out but everyone has to figure out their own method. I fill the washer with hot, wash with Borax & nothing else, rinse 3-4 times and then hang them on the line for 1 full day (Wash early and hang out, leave out until dark) to sun and air out. Laundry detergents have phosphates, brighteners, etc and don't always rinse out or reduce absorbency so be careful, try an organic or natural one like 7th Generation, they rinse out faster. If you can't afford those by CHEAP detergents, they aren't as concentrated or high quality so they rinse out faster. Any Free & Clear is a bad idea.
clothmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote