Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
annikas_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
wet bag technique advice

I use two pails in my diaper system - a wet pail for stuff that's sopping wet and for anything that's been pooped in (after it's been rinsed off), and a wet bag for anything that can't sit in water (like pockets and AIOs). However, I've noticed several people here mention they like to just use a wetbag and this intrigues me - I think I'd like to do this too. However, I notice that when I only use a wetbag, inevitably some sopping wet diaper gets wedged up against a pocket and leaves a stain on the outside as they both sit there.

So, any advice? How do you guys deal with a wet bag and not having stained diapers?

Advertisement

I blog about real food, sustainable living,
natural homemaking, and joyful parenting
at NourishingJoy.com.

Last edited by annikas_mommy; 03-28-2007 at 03:08 PM.
annikas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Re: wet bag technique advice

I soak my dipes after I initially rinse them in the washer. I soak with essentail oils and GSE to prevent any stinkies and have had great luck with this.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just toss everything in, prefolds, covers, cloth wipes, inserts, pockets. I don't have a pproblem with stains.
mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
annikas_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How long do you tend to soak them? I'm assuming you rinse and soak all your diapers that need to be washed at once....

I blog about real food, sustainable living,
natural homemaking, and joyful parenting
at NourishingJoy.com.

annikas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Susannah M
Registered Users

My Mood:

i put everything in a large wetbag i made that we use as a pail liner. we don't have issues with stink or stain because of this.
Susannah M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
wyckhurst
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Re: wet bag technique advice

I use a hanging pail wetbag for all my diapers. I used to have a pail too, but I got tired of looking at it, so I started making and selling zippered flat bottom hanging pails.

I just put everything in it like it's the pail, and then on wash day, dump everything in and the bag in after it! If you wanted to use two of these it would work, but I think just one would be fine too.

How wet are your wet diapers? And how long do you let them sit before you wash them? I think it would probably be ok for everything to go in together. I mean, a wetbag is made from PUL and it is okay having wet diapers in it, right?

I know some people have one hanging pail by the changing table and another in the bathroom after handling the poopies. It all works!

Suzanne
www.thegoodmama.com
wyckhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikas_mommy View Post
How long do you tend to soak them? I'm assuming you rinse and soak all your diapers that need to be washed at once....
I was not sure who you were asking but I pre-rinse all poo dipes in cold then add all pee dipes and rinse in cold then I soak in cold with GSE and other essential oils at least 4 hours but sometimes I forget and it goes overnight. Then I drain and add all covers and wetbags and wash on hot and do one hot rinse. Then I put all prefolds, pockets inserts, fitteds, and print PUL in the dryer on high and hang all covers, wetbags, and solid pockets. Works great for me since I consider this system easy peasy!

ETA that I have my wetbags sitting on the floor next to the changing table and they stand up on their own as they get full.

I've only ever had two pocket diapers get stains on the outside that I could not remove but I plan on sunning them since they no longer fit my DS and use them for the new baby as swim dipes). That happened when DS was on antibiotics in the summer with no A/C so he had runny poo and I was feeling crummy too and I went a week without washing but all of the other diapers came out nice and clean, just those two pockets didn't...they were extremely light color though so it may have had something to do with it.

Last edited by Sweetforestcat; 04-03-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Sweetforestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

I put everything in one pail, all together. I usually wash every third day (or more often, but not less often). I throw everything in the washer, including the pail liner/wet bag, add some detergent and maybe some GSE, then wash on warm. When that wash is done, I'll restart the whole machine on hot. I don't have rinse cycles or anything like that. Um, that's it. Often I'll do a second rinse (whole cycle on hot), but not every time. I have no stink issues, no repelling issues, no stains.

ETA: The inserts have stains, but that wasn't what you were asking, right? You meant the outsides, and I don't have stains on the outsides.

Last edited by grisaleen; 04-03-2007 at 09:56 PM.
grisaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

I put everything in a big wet bag. I wash every 2-3 days. I've never had a stain that wouldn't sun out immediately. I prewash in hot, use Purex Free & Clear, baking soda every 2nd wash and my handmade detergent every 5th wash.

I throw it all in, pockets still stuffed. I chuck the poop down the toilet as its ummm...made so no poop really sits in the dipes

I pull out the inserts as I throw everythin in the dryer.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote