Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #51
thefreckledmama
Registered Users
Formerly: Onomatopoeia

My Mood:
Re: Afraid MIL will be using disposables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndoxx View Post
Do you trust your MIL to not ruin your nice cloth?
Ugh. Excellent point! My MIL is also a very gentle, kind lady. She's also very supportive of our CDing. She also LOVES to be helpful, so whenever the kids are at her house for any amount of time, she likes to wash the diapers for me. On separate occasions, to date she has ruined: 12 or so pfs, 4 Crickett's, 1 Tiny Tush OS. 2 PUL covers, and 1 wool cover.

Regardless of how many times I (and my husband) have told her DO NOT BLEACH THE DIAPERS,...she does it EVERY TIME. And not just a splash, more like over a cup in a medium sized load, which she then soaks before washing. (I think subconsciously it seriously bothers her that our dipes are unbleached, therefore, not white. When I was shopping online for them before our last baby, she was visibly horrified that I would get diapers that were "dirty looking", because her diapers were always "bright white".)

That being said, I agree with those who have said not to worry too much if she does use sposies. I think the best course of action would be to make sure she has the supplies necessary to CD your little one, showing them how to use them, and then let her do what she's going to do. There are MUCH more significant issues to be hard nosed on, and I think this is one to let go-especially if she's footing the bill for the sposies. What I would consider doing if she is adamant about using sposies, is to ask that she get a healthier brand of diaper like Seventh Generation, or my favorite, NatureBabyCare.

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #52
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
I guess I'm going to be the lone voice of an opposite opinion.

While it would be nice if everyone who watched my son in diapers was enthusiastic and willing to deal with cloth diapers, I don't expect them to. If disposable diapers were causing a painful rash or some such reaction it would be one thing, but if it's for a few hours while someone is doing me a huge favor by babysitting, I don't see the big deal. There are so many worse things that she could be asserting herself into such as vaccination, breastfeeding, sleeping habits, diet, discipline, etc. Diapering is so minor.

Provide her with the simple cloth diapers you hope for her to use, but if she feels more comfortable watching the baby with disposables that she is buying and it isn't affecting the baby in any way I personally would let it go.
ITA. To me, having my child(ren) in disposable diapers while spending quality time with their grandma isn't a dealbreaker. Yeah, I'd like them to use cloth diapers, but if she feels more comfortable with disposables, I'd just let her.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #53
j+csmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gah! My MIL outright TOLD me, didn't ask, TOLD me that she wouldn't CD our babies. The thing being, I started cd-ing because of DSs severe eczema and the derm said we needed to! The woman still refuses to cd my kids! It drives me insane!! And when I send my kids to her with a supply of dipes, they come back to me washed in her nasty detergent! And I"m not even sure that she used them, just washed them because "cloth diapering is stinky" No more stinky than nasty sposies IMO! I started cloth because we had to for DSs health, now I'm addicted to it and a huge advocate. I say, stick to your guns. You're the mama, it's your baby, she's had her chance and she needs to respect your parenting choices.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #54
bay'n'lace
Registered Users

My Mood:

My girls are in sposies with the grandparents and it doesn't bother me. I'm a late CD'er and started when my kids were 14mo/4mo so maybe my input isn't all that valuable.

IMHO - if I'm able to send the girls off for a night and SLEEP IN the next day then hey, wrap them up in bacon for all I care as long as it doesn't harm them
bay'n'lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #55
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay'n'lace View Post
My girls are in sposies with the grandparents and it doesn't bother me. I'm a late CD'er and started when my kids were 14mo/4mo so maybe my input isn't all that valuable.

IMHO - if I'm able to send the girls off for a night and SLEEP IN the next day then hey, wrap them up in bacon for all I care as long as it doesn't harm them
ITA on this. Will bread work?
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote