Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
PKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vaccum sealers?

DH and I are thinking of getting a vaccum sealer. I will be staying home after this babe is born and we will be buying most of our food in bulk from Sam's or Cosco. We've done this before but it is such large amounts that some of it goes bad before we can use it, so we were thinking if we got one of the vaccum sealers it would make shopping at wholesale places more cost efficent.

I know some may say "well don't shop there if some of the food goes to waste" but we live in east nowhere and if we can figure out a way to keep food from getting stale it is actually a great money saver for us because groceries are so expensive up here.

If you have one what brand do you have? How much did it cost and how much does it cost to use (the bags and other add-on's)? What kind of review would you give it? And finally would you buy it again if you were to do it over?

Advertisement

Mary Kate - knitting mama to three girlies!
PKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vaccum sealers?

kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

do they sell foodsavers at costco or sams? we bought one from bj's and love it. the bags are much cheaper there too. we buy a full cart of meat from the commissary every couple months, then bag/seal it and stick it in the freezer. we also bag things like cheese, reseal our chips/cereal. we have the canisters too. as long as you don't cook in it or store raw meat , the bags are washable and reuseable. i don't know why i waited this long!

im pretty sure it cost $120, and i dont remember the bags at bjs, but they are much cheaper than the regular store. hth!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WE got ours for Christmas so I don't know how much it cost. I hope it wasn't $120!!! Ours is a rival seal a meal. Hubby loves it. I've never used it. It's his baby!!

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Food Saver brand and ours was $123.00 and it came it with canisters as well as the "bags." I think it is worth 100%. Meat stays fresher in the freezer and food in the fridge stay better as well.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
momma2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got mine as a gift so not sure of the cost, but I got the new model of food saver. I like the roll bags better as you can make custom bags. I love it and can't wait until we move next month into a house with a upright freezer in the garage so I can buy tons bulk food! My main thing that I like it for is I like to double or triple food recipes and then freeze some and then seal it. I love doing that...not much extra work and you get a dinner for that night and one for later. I tried this before without the foodsaver and the food would get frostbitten or it just wouldn't be as good as it is now. Occasionally, I store some chicken breasts in the bags with some bbq or some other marinade so when it's thawing in the fridge it's getting all marinaded and juicy. I would totally buy this all over again...I'm so glad our friends got it for us! It's really helped us save $$ and helped us eat healthier as I"m not great at cooking every single meal so if I don't have meals frozen we just end up eating crappier foods.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 AM   #7
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ours is a Black & Decker--and I think it works great!!! The only thing that I wish was different is that you really have to push on it to seal the bags--but i just put it on the table so its easier!! I also just buy the wal-mart brand bags which are considerably cheaper than the other brands--and they work just as well!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #8
PKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I think Sam's does sell one (a food saver I believe) and I have seen the canisters and rolls of bags there as well. Next time we go I think we will buck up and buy it. I know especially when it comes to meats and kids snacks (goldfish/pretzels) we will save money being able to buy bulk and not waste any of it.

Mary Kate - knitting mama to three girlies!
PKat is offline   Reply With Quote