Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Probablity of me being pg

I NEVER can tell when I get a UTI. Because my DH works at the Marine Corps medical clinic, I asked him if he could get me some dip sticks to check my urine on occasion. I was checking it this weekend and saw that I had high levels of nitrates and Leukocytes. My DD had an appt with our doc on Wed morn so I figured I would get checked for a UTI then.

I went in yesterday morn and I did in fact test + for a UTI. Our doc put me on Microban. Well last night I started having flank pain. In 2 hours it went from mild to painful. I went to the ER because of the chance of me being pg and possibly having a kidney infection. When I had one 5 years ago, I was told that those 2 together would earn me a stay in the hospital.

I went in and told them what was going on. The pain went from somewhat bearable to please give me pain meds ASAP. I told them there was a chance I might be pg (symptoms + perfectly times dtd). Because my period wasn't due yet (next Tues), they did a "stat" qualitative blood test. I finally got my results 5 hours later. It came out negative.

I felt like an idiot saying that I might be pg especially when the Qual test came back BFN. Could it still be too early? I am unsure how sensitive the qual test is to HcG and what the lowest level is.

ETA: I forgot to say they did Dx me with a "messive kidney infection". I am unsure how a simple UTI went from simple to massive in a span of 12 hours.

Advertisement

Last edited by kaylabelle05; 12-31-2009 at 03:18 PM.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Probablity of me being pg

sorry about the BFN.....I have no clue if it is too ealy..But it is better to ere on the side of caution!
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
ProudMomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Probablity of me being pg

Sorry about the BFN. I used to work at a hospital and would ask the lab guy to test "because this might be the month." I felt pretty dumb each time because it was always neg.. it's pretty sensitive actually. Your baseline is usually below 5 and once you're pregnant, you just start to double pretty quickly. Some months, the poor guy even checked twice for me.. It was a rough journey..

As for a raging UTI turned pyelo, it's possible, especially if the strain that's caused your UTI is especially fast. Good thing it got caught in time though.

Wishing you luck in your TTC journey this 2010.

Keeping our angel in our hearts

Please PM me for anything important. I usually forget to check my threads

Last edited by ProudMomma; 01-01-2010 at 06:54 AM.
ProudMomma is offline   Reply With Quote