Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
imdbbduck
Registered Users

Dairy free mac-n-cheeze?

I picked up some Vegan Gourmet cheddar stuff the other day after months of searching local grocery stores (FINALLY found one that carries non-dairy stuff!) and have no idea what to do with it. It tasted like the sauce from mac n cheese boxes, so I figured I'd throw it in a pan with some noodles since the package said "I melt!"
Totally didn't work, lol...It's so squishy in the block I thought it'd melt sort of creamy, which wasn't really the case. I put a bit of olive oil in the pan just to keep it from searing to the bottom, which worked, then I put a little tiny bit of water in to try and re-hydrate it since it seemed oddly dry (out of soy milk) and really...it just didn't work at all. It's edible, but not tasty. Maybe I just didn't use enough cheeze, or the heat was too high, or something, but I KNOW there's gotta be a way to make this work.

So to all the veggies out there---How the hell do you cook this stuff?

PS- The label said to go online for recipes...and the site is down. Awesome.

Advertisement

imdbbduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy free mac-n-cheeze?

This recipe uses nutritional yeast, but I LOVE it!
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
GreenDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dairy free mac-n-cheeze?

I always make my own with nutritional yeast, but if I were gonna try FYH (I've only tried the mozz), I would just make mac & cheese with it as if it were dairy cheese. I would shred it first, and make a sauce by stirring 2T. oil or Earth Balance and 2T. flour in a pan until bubbly. Then I would add 2c. non-dairy milk slowly, whisking the whole time. Then once that got bubbly and thickened slightly, I would slowly whisk in the shredded cheese, a little at a time until it got all melty, cheezy and nice. I would season it with yummy stuff (onion, garlic, paprika, mustard powder, s&p). Then I would remove it from the heat, add hot, cooked macaroni, stir, add more 'milk if it seemed too thick, and try to eat it before the kids make me hafta share . Ooooh that sounds yum. I may have to make mac and cheese for lunch.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote