Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
WasabiMommi
Banned

My Mood:
Switching up the dinner routine...Share your family favorites!

My husband is a chef but, except for the weekends, I cook all the meals. DH has helped learn a few tricks for making our usual routine awesome and delicious. But, it is still the same few meals every week. So, I wanted to share with everyone our favorites.

Feel free to share yours, I would definitely like to change our dinners up a little!!

Note: I know the spices that I use are pretty much the same with the chops and the chicken. But trust me, the amount you use of each spice makes all the difference! Not so much cumin on the chops but lots on the chicken!

Pork chops: First I spice the chops. I use cayenne, pepper, salt, white pepper, cumin and a pinch of garlic powder. One of my favorite condiments is mayo, mustard and finely chopped jalepenos. When we are running low, I brush it onto the chops before dusting them in flour. Preheat the oven to 425. We always use cast iron so, I heat up a large CA pan. Sear one side in some oil. I flip it and stick it right in the oven until it is done. Both side stay brown, beautiful and I never have to worry about soggyness or the breading coming off.

Cumin Chicken: Pat the chicken dry (usually leg quarters or thighs). Spice with salt (liberally), cayenne, black pepper, white pepper and a gooood amount of toasted ground cumin (it is best if you toast and grind your own!)

Heat up a cast iron pan in a 450 degree oven, place the chicken in the pan and put back in the oven until it is done. (at least 165 degrees in the thickest part).

We also make chicken curry and kabobs a lot! But that is a lot more involved and requires a pretty extensive spice rack.

While both of these are awesome and I love having them, we always end up with lima beans or broccoli as our side and a baked potato or home made fries as our starch. Don't get me wrong! We have rice or cous cous, too

Does anyone have any suggestions of their favorites to help spice up our dinners??

Advertisement

WasabiMommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Switching up the dinner routine...Share your family favorites!

I think we need to be asking your DH! that's awesome I would love to take courses at a culinary school! or work with a chef! where is his kitchen? sorry I just think it's awesome

I have recipes on my blog but I also if you like salads have a list of salad recipes I got off line (101 salads) they are quick, just search salads at give peas a chance in my siggy
I also have a list of spices I use if you search spices or seasonings
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
WasabiMommi
Banned

My Mood:

LOL, it is awesome! I eat like a queen on the weekends! And Christmas dinner was amazing. He works in D.C. Actually, starting a new job today! Woo!

Thanks for the help, I will definitely give it a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesgirl View Post
I think we need to be asking your DH! that's awesome I would love to take courses at a culinary school! or work with a chef! where is his kitchen? sorry I just think it's awesome

I have recipes on my blog but I also if you like salads have a list of salad recipes I got off line (101 salads) they are quick, just search salads at give peas a chance in my siggy
I also have a list of spices I use if you search spices or seasonings
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH ok we're in the DC area I will have to check it out! PM me where if you have a chance eeek soo cool
Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think we all get in a rut now and then. I know I cook the same dishes over and over. lol And when I do try something new, it rarely makes it into the regular rotation. sigh

Do you do much pasta? Spaghetti is one of my favorite quick meals. To change it up sometimes I do frozen ravioli or gnocchi instead.

I like to add new veggies for my kids to try. Our favorites at the moment are summer squash (supper easy just wash and slice then simmer with a bit of butter and sea salt) and roasted asparagus. (Also very easy just brush with olive oil sprinkle with parm cheese and sea salt then bake appx. 10 minutes at 500)

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
thekacshclan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i am a crockpot-a-holic! i LOVE using it, because nothing ever comes out the same! i just pick a meat, lots of chopped veggies, beans are optional, a few spices and a box of broth (chicken/beef/veggie, depending on what meat you choose in the beginning). somehow, its always fantastic, and i can set it up in the morning, and just let it do all the work and cook all day!
i wish i was married to a chef though!!!
thekacshclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

To the OP I grew up in Berryville. I would give anything, well not anything-but alot, to be in DC right now so I could get some yummy Ethipian food--Dukem is our fav. We moved to a state that doesn't have a single Ethiopian rest. in the entire state.

I'll come back in a bit.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
WasabiMommi
Banned

My Mood:

Aww! Thats so cool! We just recently moved here from Arlington. I totally feel your pain. I miss my curry house, sooooo much!!! I think I will make DH take me there for my b-day, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
To the OP I grew up in Berryville. I would give anything, well not anything-but alot, to be in DC right now so I could get some yummy Ethipian food--Dukem is our fav. We moved to a state that doesn't have a single Ethiopian rest. in the entire state.

I'll come back in a bit.