Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: What is your favorite cookbook?

Taste of Home
The Joy of Vegan Baking
A Crockpot Cookbook that has recipes that you would like to try. Crockpots are super easy to use and produce really tasty meals.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Robin.A.LCC
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
i loooooove my More with Less...
Quote:
For everyday cooking I still like the old Betty Crocker Picture cookbook (my copy is a vintage 1950's edition)
I grew up with those two!
More With Less Cookbook is by Doris Janzen Longacre. “Suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world’s limited food resources.” If there’s a Ten Thousand Villages near you, they might carry it. They have the newer one, Extending The Table (International Recipes). The copy I have was given to my mother in 1980. I scorched a page of it as a teenager, so I replaced it, and kept the older one. (bonus, it has written notes from mom). Favorite recipes: p. 270, Apple Crisp. We double the topping! And p. 89, Basic Dry Cereal Formula (granola, with various options)
Betty Crocker’s Picture Cook Book, published by Macmillan and General Mills. Was originally published in 1950. And reissued “Facsimile edition” in 1998. Mom used the original in high school home ec. And then they decided to replace the books with something newer. So the students were given the old copies. I referred to it for baking cookies, boiling eggs, and all sorts of other stuff. It is very basic, with variations on recipes so you feel like you can make most things.

My later favorites are Jane Brody’s Good Food Book, and a fat paperback by Good Housekeeping.

Jane Brody’s book goes into the history and benefits of different foods, like when people started eating potatoes and what nutritional benefits we derive from them. I like that it explains the nutritional difference between processed and whole foods. The last is various recipes. I’ve never hated anything I’ve made from the book, although I liked some more than others. Don’t have it in front of me, so can’t tell you what to try.

Good Housekeeping also discusses different foods/ingredients. Like, in the section on vegetables, it tells you some general information on each veg. which is nice. Then followed by some recipes. Again, don’t have it in front of me, but pretty sure that’s where I got the recipe for a barley & mushroom bake. Simple, filling, tasty, different from rice/pasta, and CHEAP!

I also like to have a book on herbs for reference. Generally they tell you what herbs combine well with each other, and what foods they compliment best. Check out The Encyclopedia of Herbs Spices & Flavorings by Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz, published in 1992 by DK. This one has sections on Kitchen Herbs; Kitchen Spices; Flavors of the World; Vegetable & Fruit Flavorings; Extracts, Essences & Sweeteners; Edible Leaves & Flowers; Oils, Vinegars & Dairy Products; Sauces, Preserves & Condiments; and Coffee, Tea & Spiced Drinks. Drawback, it does not give recipes for making blends of herbs (great for little gifts), or the health/nutritional benefits of various items.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a fan of the Joy of Cooking. I have an older copy that I picked up at a flea market. I always look in that first because it doesn't have all the weird ingredients.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Better Homes and Gardens (red and white checked cover)
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
elleystar
Registered Users
seller

Another vote for Joy of Cooking. It is a great reference and will help you cook just about anything, especially when you may not have internet access at the moment. A Cook's Illustrated subscription would also be an incredible resource. I hope to get one for my bday!

Like PP I also learn so much from a couple of great cooking blogs:

The Pioneer Woman Cooks of course. Her writing is hysterical, her recipes are delicious and usually pretty easy, and her step by steps really give you confidence.

Simply Recipes is another great one. There isn't a bad recipe on there, and they are also fairly simple. I now make fantastic polenta, and last summer tried ratatouille for the first time (and made it twice a week until the veggies went out of season!). You can't go wrong with that one.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
lmvanzee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Better Homes and Gardens (red and white checked cover)
YUP... I have Two. Each edition is a little different... So I am alwasy calling my mom for recipes out of hers. LoL

I have rearely if ever had a recipe that didn't work using it.
lmvanzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

I really like the Taste of Home series....I could look at the picture all day!