Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
wagaboodleMuM
Registered Users

My Mood:
potty training reversion...any ideas?

Ds will be 3 in July and he had been potty training for 7 months (was in regular undies and quite trustworthy). We moved (2000 miles and a new country) and dh got a job after months of unemployment.

Ds is back in diapers (I'm tired of cleaning the carpet) and I'm just wondering if anyone has tips for me to gently help him back into potty training. I know forcing it doesn't work, but there are times when he wants to go on the potty, so we go along with it, but we end up with messes if we don't put him back in a diaper (which he doesn't want). We're all adjusting, and I know my patience level isn't what it should be with ds, especially when I have poop to clean off the carpet (there's a 4-month old in the mix who hasn't been sleeping great, either).

Thanks for any advice you can give. There's just so much going on right now that I know I'm not thinking clearly...

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
cotton_jmb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: potty training reversion...any ideas?

Hmmmmmmmmmm... I'm not sure mama as I'm not there, but maybe having a new sibling is the culprit of it all. Give yourself a few months before trying again. Tell him it's a diaper or potty and make him clean up his own messes I guess, but do it gently without any critisizm. HTH!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

DD reverts occasionally due to stress. So like when we have company in from out of town, she will wet a time or two the first day or two. I can totally see how a major move might prolong that.

How does he feel about absorbent trainers rather than a diapers while he adjusts to his new home?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I had the same exact thing happen w/my 3.5 yo. He was totally trained a couple mos after DS#2 was born. Night, day, trips, everything. Not an accident to be found! Then all the sudden like months & months later, he was back in dipes b/c 1-2 accidents turned into all the time again. We tried everything & it wasn't until I gave up completely that he started using the potty on his own again. We still have our issues sometimes, but for the most part he's good. Doesn't wet at all at preschool & usually is good at home unless there is a stressor. We still have to keep a dipe on him at night b/c you just never know.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
wagaboodleMuM
Registered Users

My Mood:

He'll out pee any trainer out there in just one shot. He's got great control and holds for too long IMO.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD was PLing then started having accidents for no reason. . . It was back to dipes until I finally got sick of it and put her in panties or commando. B/c in dipes she wouldn't even try to use the potty, would just pee in the dipe. Did she make a lot of messes? Yes and sometimes does when she gets anxious about "buggies" *sigh* but she is trying now and wasn't before. And that makes me happy even when there is a mess to clean up. I hope your LO decides he wants to use the potty again. . .
Old 04-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Set a timer. Start with every 15 minutes and have ds sit on the potty. He has to red a book or count to 20 or sing two songs (this keeps him there long enough to actually have time to do something!), then set it again. Maybe add 5 minutes every day.

This is what we did with dd. She's a little hyper and forgetful (don't know where she gets it from ) so it was really good to have that physical reminder.

Good luck, it's been accident city around here, too. DD will pee enough to get her pants wet but not enough to make a puddle on the floor. Then she keeps playing until I notice it and make her go potty

Must be something in the cycles of the moon or something
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote