Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismaggie View Post
I know there are maintenance meds that have to go in a nebulizer though.

Actually....it depends on the age of the child, but until fairly recently, *most* maintenence meds weren't available by nebulizer, they were inhaler only. It used to be (when I was little) that the only thing they could offer parents was albuterol *syrup* for kids to drink (and boy....talk about making a kid hyper....). Then albuterol and/or intal in a nebulizer was the best they could do.

Pulmicort is the only inhaled steriod available by neb right now, and it's only been in the last 10-15 years that you could get it that way - I keep waiting for their patent to run out so I don't spend so darn much money on it

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
mismaggie
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadiera View Post
Actually....it depends on the age of the child, but until fairly recently, *most* maintenence meds weren't available by nebulizer, they were inhaler only. It used to be (when I was little) that the only thing they could offer parents was albuterol *syrup* for kids to drink (and boy....talk about making a kid hyper....). Then albuterol and/or intal in a nebulizer was the best they could do.

Pulmicort is the only inhaled steriod available by neb right now, and it's only been in the last 10-15 years that you could get it that way - I keep waiting for their patent to run out so I don't spend so darn much money on it
Yep, that's the one I was talking about. My son is on that one and Xopenex every day for now. Poor little guy. I hate to see him sitting there doing that. I am so glad it's available to us though, the nebulizer has kept us out of the hospital on many occasions.
mismaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

Sorry you are going through this....my DD, age 3 has asthma triggered by even a simple virus and we have had our share of horrible scares and PICU trips. The first nebulizer we were sent home from the hospital with was very loud. We just got a new nebulizer through our insurance and it is much quieter. It is an ultrasonic. It stills makes noise but not the same amount as the big bulky machine.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
mamamonkmee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Happened with my youngest at 1 year old. he ended up in the PICU for 9 days. 2 days after xmas in 08 and then again in april of 09. we have albuterol and flovent inhalers and Xopenex and Pulmicort as needed. we really only use them in the winter and when he gets a cold. also get in an oral steriod as soon as we see a cold getting started. so far we've keep him outta the hospital since april 09 he did end up in the er once in nov 09 but he had bronchitis on top of the asthma so he needed an antibotic.

He's not scared of his neb's sound but hates having the mask on his face. so it's a fight to get him to be still for it we usally just end up having it blow in his face.

Last edited by mamamonkmee; 01-10-2010 at 07:21 AM.
mamamonkmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen73 View Post
Sorry you are going through this....my DD, age 3 has asthma triggered by even a simple virus and we have had our share of horrible scares and PICU trips. The first nebulizer we were sent home from the hospital with was very loud. We just got a new nebulizer through our insurance and it is much quieter. It is an ultrasonic. It stills makes noise but not the same amount as the big bulky machine.
Sorry to hear about your dd! It is definitely scary. We hadn't ever had any issues with asthma from him so it was a complete shock/surprise. Tomorrow is a dr appointment and later this week the pulmonary dr. We will definitely be asking about a quieter machine.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #16
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamonkmee View Post
Happened with my youngest at 1 year old. he ended up in the PICU for 9 days. 2 days after xmas in 08 and then again in april of 09. we have albuterol and flovent inhalers and Xopenex and Pulmicort as needed. we really only use them in the winter and when he gets a cold. also get in an oral steriod as soon as we see a cold getting started. so far we've keep him outta the hospital since april 09 he did end up in the er once in nov 09 but he had bronchitis on top of the asthma so he needed an antibotic.

He's not scared of his neb's sound but hates having the mask on his face. so it's a fight to get him to be still for it we usally just end up having it blow in his face.
DS is also on albuterol and flovent. Then the liquid steroid, Pepcid, Tamaflu, and an antibiodic. He had more in the hospital, but now is down to only the breathing ones, liquid steroid, and pepcid.

I am so glad that your LO has not had to have any bad episodes. They told us that if we followed the plan that he shouldn't ever get too bad at all. DS had pneumonia and we had to deal with that on top of the attack. They think that is what started it. I dunno because he only had a slight runny nose on Christmas and the next day was sick. It was so fast!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadiera View Post
i looked at the price on our pulmicort the other day and almost fell on the floor. $545.99 for a month's worth of it! Thank goodness we don't pay for prescriptions!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #18
mismaggie
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
i looked at the price on our pulmicort the other day and almost fell on the floor. $545.99 for a month's worth of it! Thank goodness we don't pay for prescriptions!
They do make a generic that works every bit as good as the name brand that only costs a fraction of that. My son takes it so I am very thankful for it
Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismaggie View Post
They do make a generic that works every bit as good as the name brand that only costs a fraction of that. My son takes it so I am very thankful for it

It's a very recent generic though - we''ve only been able to get it in the last month.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
mismaggie
Banned

My Mood:

Yep, just wanted to let people know that there is a generic available