Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
Diaper Queen
My Mood:
Re: Need Mexican recipes!

Now, I'm hungry. Off to heat up my left over spaghetti, its lunch time now !!

Wife to Mommy to : ,
football_cheer_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
No Longer Here
My Mood:

hey your bday is the day before mine!

ok so here are a few~

chile relleno

get depending on how many you are planning to feed a chile passila, these are HOT you can also just grab the long green chili's that are next to the bell peppers.
your going to either shred or buy shredded cheese, do you have a comal?
its like an iron flat pan, you are going to put the chili's on this and they are going to toast, let the skin toast all over, you will cover for a few minutes with a lid, then turn the chili, try and toast all sides.
once theyre kinda black on the sides, you will put them all intoa plastic bag, those beggie bags form the grocery store work great, close the back and leave some air in it, this will steam the chili's. leave them for about 6-8 minutes, remove one at a time and peel off the skin, and remove the seeds from the inside. i run them under the water to get all the seeds out.
once all are cleaned, you will add cheese to them and close it with a toothpick, , start your pan up, add some oil so it covers half the chili's while cooking~in a seperate bowl add a couple eggs and a tiny amount of milk, blend them up with the blender, this will foam them up, dip your cheese filled relleno into the egg mixture and then into the hot oil, i dont flip them, i just use a spatula to toss oil on top to cook the whole thing, this will make the chili really soft and melt the cheese inside, they are done in about 3-5 minutes. once cooked, remove the toothpicks, i put them onto a paper towel to drain off any excess oil
you can also use bell pepper which is more mild, the green long chili's and passillas are spicy.

spanish rice~
depending on how many you will cook for
like for just us, dh and me and the kids i only make 1 cup at a time and we have enough for 2 days

for every cup of rice you will add 2 cups of water.

i use white rice
so get your pan, add 1 tbsn oil per cup of rice
heat it up, add your rice, put the fire about medium-med high
get the rice nice and browned up
add 2 cups of water for every cup of rice you use
i also use knorrs chicken with tomato boullin cubes.
once the rice is browned up, i add in 1/2 a 5 oz can of tomato sauce, i mix it all over the rice and let it cook in for about 30 seconds, it will dry up fast, then add your water and the other half of your can of tomato sauce, i also use the one can for 2 cups of rice
mix it all together, lower the fire to medium, add in 1 boullion per 1-2 cups of rice, if you make more add in by the halve.
i cut up 1/2 a white onion, and chop it onto cubes, then toss in about 3/4 of it into the rice water mixture and bring to a boil, then cover it with a lid and lower the fiire to low. it is done once the rice is tender, keep an eye on it, sometimes they run out of water, mix every so often. you can also add tomato cubes to this or a jalapeno whole, its really good.

get a pack of corn tortillas
a big can of las palmas enchilada sauce, these come in both red and green chili, i prefer the green its less spicy and a little sweeter.
brown 1-2 lbs of ground hamburger~add salt,garlic and pepper
put the oven on 350*
i like to shred the cheese and lettuceand cut tomatos ahead of time
get a seperate pan, add some oil, i put the tortillas into the oil to soften them up, theyre easier to roll up
another pan i add the chili sauce form the can into it
so the tortillas goes into the oil then into the sauce then right into your oven safe pan, i like to use the one for lasagna.
ithen add the cooked meat and some cheese and roll it closed. i make as many fit into the pan. then add chili sauce over the top of them all, add cheese and then soem foil, i put this into the oven for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted on top and inside.
get them out and serve after a few minutes, cover with cheese,lettuce and tomato.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #13
No Longer Here
My Mood:

another chuncky salsa thats really good
1/2 a cabbage
2-4 roma tomatos
1/2 small onion
1 jalapeno
a handfull of cilantro
1/2 lemon~squeeze all the juice onto the sale,
i add this all into my food chopper, i am not sure what its called but it might be a
it chops everything into small peices, well this sala is meant to be slightly chuncky so dont over chop, add salt to taste.
this si good with corn chips, i like tostitos
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

All these recipes sound yummy I must try the crockpot one. I was going to post earlier.. but had to put my little ones down for a nap. I must have watched too many semi homemade episodes because this came to mind... (I AM mexican by the way, just been a superbusy mom and have done some shortcuts - lol)

PS - I try to use Better than Boullion or Swanson's MSG free broth for making rice and recipes that call for soup. MSG gives me a headache. Knorr and most boullions have it

Agua de Sandia (watermelon water) - made this for my DD 10th bday - everyone loved it - you can do this with cantaloupe too.

Put in the blender
3 cups Watermelon, diced (no rind)
10 cups Cold water

add some of the chunks of seedless watermelon to the blender cover with the filtered water Blend and put the "juice" through a sieve. Continue to do this til you used up most of the water Add sugar to taste. I usually put this in a big glass jar and put the jar to sit over a bucket of ice and serve with a ladle.

Sopapillas (Tex Mex Dessert)
Buy some UNCOOKED flour tortillas from the grocery store
Cut each tortilla into 4 pieces (like a pizza)
Put in deep fryer until they puff up completely.
Serve with honey

with your chips and dips...

Mango salsa

1 bag of frozen mango (thawed)
1 jalapeno chopped and seeded
1/2 finely chopped red onion
chopped fresh cilantro
salt to taste

Thaw out mango, chop into smaller bits. Add red onion and cilantro. Add as much jalapeno as you are comfy with. If not, you can substitute with finely chopped bell pepper... but the jalapeno won't be so spicy if you take the seeds and vein out. (slice lengthwise the scoop out veiny part and seeds with a spoon) add salt to taste

Now... i am going to make lunch... this has made me hungry

Kristi SAH mama to Allie 11, Giancarlo 2, Sofia 8 mo

Last edited by Guardandolaluna; 04-04-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

Taco Soup
30 oz Can Chicken Broth
1 Can Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce (regular size can - don't know how many ounces they are, but like a Progresso soup size can)
1 Can Chili with Meat & Beans
1 Can of your favorite beans (I use either white or kidney)
1 lb. Velveeta Cheese cut in to cubes
2-3 cooked and cubed chicken breasts
1 lb. groung meat
Place all ingredients in soup pot (crock pot) over medium heat until warm and Velveeta is melted. You can let this cook all day, it gets better with time.
Serve with warm crusty bread and top with: Grated Cheese Tortilla strips Chopped Tomatoes Mexican Crema (or regular sour cream) Chives You can also add whatever you want to it too!
4-6 sevings (I think)

I always double it and freeze it for when I don't feel like cooking!
Wife to Joe, mom to DD Rylee 10-06, DS Joey 6-08, DS Isaiah 5-10 & due 7-12
Rylee'smama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
Registered Users

I'm so a cheater, lol - When we have lots of people over I ALWAYS do "haystacks."

I brown my meat, add taco seasoning and a can of crushed tomatoes, then put that in a crockpot. Then I chop tomatoes, onions, lettuce and place in the fridge in bowls, along with cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Then about 15 minutes before everyone arrives I pull out the pre-prepared bowls of goodies, stick spoons in there and voila!!! It's kind of a taco salad/glorified nachos, but they're SO easy!!!!
A + T = R
R born 8.9.06, E born 11.07.08!
Not Just Beans & Rice - a blog about the journey

wrapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #17
Registered Users
Yummy bean dip

Really yummy, easy bean dip:

1 can refried beans
1 block of cream cheese
1 package taco seasoning
1 bag of shredded cheddar
8 oz sour cream

Mix (might need to use a hand cake mixer) all but half of the cheese and put in a small casserole dish (the 1/2 size Pyrex 8x8?). Bake 30 mins at 350, sprinkle remaining cheese on top during the last 10 minutes or so to top it. Bake till melty and bubbly. Super easy! I always get compliments!
Happy wife, and Momma to my 2 little delights and 1 on the way due early Sept!
Identity stealers should be flogged.
ellemenopee is offline   Reply With Quote