Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
farmfresh
Registered Users
seller

bread recipe question...

so, i have a really good bread recipe. i usually make 4 loaves at a time, keeping one out to eat, and freezing the other 3. but the bread tastes much better when its fresh, rather than being frozen and thawed. so, does anyone know if i can just make my dough, separate it, then freeze it? that way i could just pull it out of the freezer and make one loaf at a time. the recipe doesnt call for letting the dough rise, you just put it in the bread pan and then in a 200 degree oven (if that makes a difference).

also, how would be the best way to freeze it? ziploc bags? saran wrap? wax paper, then ziploc bags? the dough is always a little sticky.

and, what would be the best way to thaw the dough out? leave it sit on the counter or bake it longer in the oven?

ive seen people put frozen loaves of store bought dough straight in an oven, but i cant remember the details.

thanks so much.

Advertisement

farmfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Re: bread recipe question...

I have no idea if the freezing would work. I think most bread dough's you can, but don't know on that one. If I was freezing it, I would put it in a zip lock and then place it in the bread pan to freeze it. Then you can just remove it from the zip lock and thaw it in the bread pan since it will be the right size and shape.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd say freeze 2 loaves, let one thaw and cook, and put one straight in the oven (def. have to cook longer), and see which turns out better

PS - wanna share your recipe?
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure about that but I have the book "Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" and it sounds similar. I make the bread dough (enough for 4 loaves), make a loaf and keep the rest of the dough in the fridge and use it a loaf at a time for up to 10 days. It doesn't mention freezing the dough though so I don't know how that would work.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would freeze then let it thaw in the pan at room temp for a while before baking. I think that would give you the best results
Old 01-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
pastrymel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsmom View Post
I would freeze then let it thaw in the pan at room temp for a while before baking. I think that would give you the best results
Yep, that. Let it thaw and get it's final rise and then bake.

I would think that you could also par bake and freeze. So bake for about 80% of your called-for baking time and then freeze. When you are ready to eat, thaw and bake off the rest of the time.
pastrymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
KristieMcNealy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I freeze my dough at times, but you can probably also get away with leaving it in the fridge for a few days tightly covered. That way it just takes a little longer to warm up and do the second rise.

When I do freeze, I put the dough on a cookie sheet in my freezer until it is hard, and then wrap in plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag. It will still rise a bit before it freezes through, so wrapping first and then freezing hasn't worked out as well. I take mine out, let it thaw, and start to rise, and then bake. It doesn't rise as well as fresh, but it does puff up some more while baking.

Blogging about women's and children's health at http://www.kristiemcnealy.com
KristieMcNealy is offline   Reply With Quote