Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me out for our next DD-- formula?? relactating?

I just want to say that inducing lactation/breastfeeding an adopted baby is not the same as bfing a bio child. Inducing lactation is NO picnic and a real pain in the @ss. Most mamas cannot even count the amount of milk (if any) they produce in oz.

Besides the fact that trying to put an older adopted baby to the breast can be very traumatic for the child. A newborn is a different situation of course!The child will be used to a bottle and will need some bonding time at first, so if you do decide to relactate it would probaby be best to feed expressed bm in a bottle.

Sorry to be the voice of negativity feel free to pm me if you want!

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot to answer the formula question!

For us Nestle good start is all she could tolerate. We tried like 4 kids including soy and she had a hard time wit them all.

If your baby is coming from vietnam, chances are she will be a bit older and have a set formula she already takes. I would suggest bringing back as much of that as you can and then slowly weaning her off of that and on the new stuff you get. You can also try to find out what is the closest US product to it.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Didn't read all the comments ..

DD#1 was formula fed. For the longest time she could only have Enfamil (sp?). We ended up switching to the Wal-Mart brand (because it was less expensive) and when I had to go on WIC for 2 months Enfamil was what I got her and it didn't sit so hot with her. I still don't get it. Wal-Mart organic is good too if you're concerned about organic.

As for soy the only thing I know really is that it can plug a baby up good. That's what it did do DD when we changed from milk based to soy to see if that was why she was having tummy problems.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
j9_shooter9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me out -- formula!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemomto3 View Post
Yes it is totally possible. The first thing is pumping, i don't know if you'd be up for it, if you have to pump and bottlefeed, to me it seems better than formula. Some adoptive parents even get their older infants to latch on with enough time and the right temperment kids. Do a good search on adoptive breastfeeding, there is a really good website, but i can't remember the name
I'll have to do this.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #15
j9_shooter9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa70 View Post
I forgot to answer the formula question!

For us Nestle good start is all she could tolerate. We tried like 4 kids including soy and she had a hard time wit them all.

If your baby is coming from vietnam, chances are she will be a bit older and have a set formula she already takes. I would suggest bringing back as much of that as you can and then slowly weaning her off of that and on the new stuff you get. You can also try to find out what is the closest US product to it.
That's a good idea. I think she'll be under 6 mos, but I'll see what they've been feeding her.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #16
j9_shooter9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Its totally possible to relactate! One can even lactate without having lactating in the past so it will be tons easier since you have before. Kellymom.com has some AWESOME info on relatating and adoptive lactating.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
j9_shooter9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnn View Post
Yes, some kids react to different formulas and some react to soy, some need soy....it all depends on the child, some kids can handle anything...
my cousins baby is 3m and after a couple weeks they had to change her formula to soy based because she couldnt handle the other.
GOOD Luck mama
when do you get the little one? do you know what kind of formula he/she is on now (if he/she is born) maybe you can find out and keep the baby on a comparable formula?
We probably won't have her in our arms for at least 8 mos. She's not born yet and we don't even know who she is, but she's in our thoughts. constantly.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
earthybirthymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Totally possible to relactate. HEre is a great link http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/abindex.html my intended mother is hoping to lactate & she had a complete hysterectomy, so i imagine it would be a bit easier for you since you have already lactated. Best of luck

earthybirthymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #19
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If we adopt I will be trying to relactate. It's somethign that is very important to me. Even if that meant pumping and bottle feeding. If I absolutely couldn't do it (I tend to over produce milk so I have a feeling it wouldn't be a problem for us) I would look into making my own formula. I know there is a website out there about it somewhere. I believe most mom's use goats milk as a base? I remember being told that it is very easy and cost effective and it allows you to control how processed and how many additives go into your baby. Just a thought.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #20
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

I've had two friends that have induced lactation for their adpoted babies. It can be done! You would want to get hold of some domperidone & fenugreek and a good pump and start asap.

Good luck!