Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Chey
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Whatever

I so did not post that many times. Can a Mod delete those. I pushed post once.

Advertisement

Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
goldenleo816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know these are frustrating times mama DD#1 is a HANDFULL for me too so I completely understand. All I can say is take a deep breath and do what your heart tells you to.
Nichol ~ MOM to Eden Ariela 10/07 and Esme Jaid 7/09, BONUS MOM to Jada 3/08 and now we welcomed a BOY to the family Samuel Rex 6/14/12 Take a look at whats new in "EDENS CLOSET" ***Use code AFL550 to save $5 off $50 at DIAPERJUNCTION **
goldenleo816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

ack.....now my original long one is gone. Nooooooo

ETA: I edited and re added it back in on the first page.

Last edited by Chey; 01-16-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

Just wanted to bump this for the OP in case she missed it. I put some good info in here and I know I often forget to come back when I ask questions.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

#1: ITA with first poster. Not a fan of CIO, but I think you can do some CIO above 1 yr without doing damage. I'd try the method that lets you leave in greater intervals until he is used to being without you. It also sounds like he has some separation anxiety so try to find a blankie or a lovey that you can have him cuddle with that will be your substitute.

FWIW: our DS refused to sleep in his crib too. The moment we put him in his big boy bed, he was all over it. He still sleeps there now.

#2: To me, having a toddler is like having 2 rambuctious kittens. Anything that isn't nailed down or locked up is likely to get moved, tipped over or broken. For this reason (we do have two kittens BTW), we have removed everything. The only things sitting on tables and shelves are baby toys. DS can knock those off all he wants. Pack up all your nice things and bring them back out when your kids are above age 5. I see no point in making myself crazy over this.

All drawers have baby locks on them. And DS's closet has a eye hook on it. So he cannot access his clothes or pull things out of drawers. It is a pain sometimes to have to unlock things, but it is infinitely easier than constantly cleaning up stuff

#3: See #2. This year, I made a christmas tree on the wall with lights and plastic bulbs. The bulbs were high up (mostly because the kittens would snatch them off their hooks if they were lower) and the lights were all fastened to the wall. We got something that looked like a tree, but nowhere near the hassle (and no glass bulbs).

#4: DS discovered DH can make him laugh at 3 mos and he has been soooo in love with daddy ever since. I went to pick up DS last Friday from daycare and he was upset that it was me and not daddy (DH normally picks him up). I was kind of crushed. I want to know when it will be my turn to be adored like that, but oh well I can't make (and don't even want to) him not be so enamored of daddy. It has made my DH a better and more involved father. Sorry. BTDT and no good advice to give you. Join the club. They have to grow out of it at some point, right? One thing I will say is that it seems like your the one always enforcing rules, making him do stuff he doesn't like, and telling him no (maybe that is just how your post sounds?), but perhaps DH can do some more of the boundary making so that you are not the only bad guy?

#5: let him eat whatever he wants. Really he will not die or starve. I remember as a kid all I wanted was applesauce, PB&J, and apple juice. My parents just let me have it. Really he will survive.

#6: Lots of kids, and for some reason a fair amount of boys, don't really get around to doing much talking early on. I wouldn't worry too much. Focus on these other issues and get back to this one a little later in the year.

#7: I don't have a good answer for this. I can only assume that he is not happy in other ways and it shows in his temper. Work on the other things above and maybe this one will clear up. I do know that when my DS is in a foul mood, he is tired. He doesn't act like he is tired, but really he is. When I remove all distractions and put him in a dark room, he'll fuss and fight me for 30 mins or so, after that he is out like a light. My guess is either food issues or sleep issues are causing bad behavior but he may also be sensing tension from you (your frustration) so try to remove anything that is causing you stress (see #2) and see if he becomes more calm as you do. Not saying something or avoiding conflict does NOT make you calm so don't think that just because you have learned over time how to be calm doesn't mean that you actually give off that vibe.

Hang in there mama.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When DS turned 11 mo he started walking and whining ALL DAY. Basically exactly what you said- spinning in circles pointing at things and whining for them but then throwing them down and screaming when I gave them to him. So I decided that he needed to be able to communicate more, we started watching the baby signing time DVDs and he had and used like 10 signs within watching it three times.

Now he is 18 months and a new kind of difficult but the ability to communicate made a HUGE difference in his demeanor.

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
GC's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats, mama! Sounds like you've got a spirited one on your hands! My oldest DS was the same way at that age. He's 28mo now, and a smart, cute, fairly well behaved child, although I'm surprised I made it out alive from that age! Things WILL get better. Just keep your patience (not easy to do, I know), and keep being consistent with your boundaries. As for:

Sleep: I'd consider NOT nursing him to sleep. If he thinks he needs you to help him go to sleep, then it's harder to get you time when he naps (and kids like that, you need them to nap). If he likes to nurse, maybe have him nurse, then read him a story, then bed. I'm not a big fan of CIO, so we used the No-Cry Sleep Solution with success. If possible, you might also do well with having your DH put him to bed.

Cleaning: I agree with a PP who said not to clean up until your DS is done playing. Also, if there's any way to make clean-up a game, that worked with mine.

Communication: DS did the same thing; he had signs he used, then learned to point and babble and stopped using them. Hang in there. DS is exceedingly verbal now; some kids just want to use words more than they want to sign, which makes this time especially frustrating.

Food: All toddlers go on food jags, look at what he eats in the course of a week, not the course of a day. If you're worried about nutrition, a vitamin supplement might ease your mind a bit.

All of those things sound completely normal for a LO that age. It's a magical time, isn't it? Remember, they're only this age for a very short time (good thing, or else we'd eat them)!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I am going to deviate just a bit from what the other poster's have said. While I do think there were some good ideas posted, I don't personally agree with the "wait it out" logic. Yes, what your child is doing is normal for his age but there are things you can do right now in order to improve the situation. You don't have to just wait and hope that things get better. You can make some changes now to direct your little guy and make some changes to benefit the whole household. These are just some ideas that I have and hopefully you will see something that can be a help to you.

1. Regarding the sleep issues, I don't think it is necessary to be nursing him throughout the night. He is toddler age and really it is more of a comfort thing than him actually needing nutrition. I would began by closing the "milk shop" after a certain time and concentrating on comforting another way. It may be very tough for him those first few days but he will get and will go to sleep eventually. Then you can work on getting him to sleep without nursing (if that is your wish) and start instituting a bedtime and bedtime routine. I am not sure if you are even wanting to quit co-sleeping but either way, you can improve the situation by agreeing with your DH about night time rules and sticking very firm to those. He will get used to it. I would also research sleep techniques and figure out what you feel comfortable with doing. Keep the goal in mind (having time in the evening to get some things done and take a break) and just keep working towards that. Some kids DO eventually work out sleep issues on their own at a certain age but many do not because they have certain habits just ingrained in them after doing it that way for so long. It could get better if you wait but it could also get a lot worse. Maybe you are just venting and not really looking for advice really, but I thought I would give my thoughts and again, hopefully something will be of a help to you.

2. Regarding the cleaning issues, you mentioned that he has tons of toys. I would purge that right away. Keep only those toys that are active (fitting with his personality) and age appropriate. You might consider push toys, a ride on car, small climber/slide for indoors and other active toys where he can really get out his energy. Plus if there is less items it makes sense there would be less to clean up. Organize his room to child proof it and what I call "tornado" proof it. Put his dresser in the closet if you have to or organize everything he should not be getting into in the closet and put a latch or door knob covers on the door. Child proof other areas of the house with cabinet locks, gates, etc. Whatever it takes to keep the destroying to a minimum and keep him safe from getting into things that could hurt him. He is not too young to learn how to clean up after himself. Also, work on teaching him to clean up an activity before taking out another. Keep him focused on "his" things and be very consistent with not letting him touch things he shouldn't. I know it seems easier sometimes just to clean up after him all day but I think you should take the time to teach him more about things he can do instead of chasing after him about things he can't. It might take 100x of saying no to a certain thing but he will get it and that would be better overall than just not saying anything at all. You might also think about how you feel about timeout or other consequences for breaking the house rules and no, I don't think he is too young for a timeout.

3. Again, just really kid proof your house to keep him safe and concentrate on teaching what he is and is not allowed to do. It is not going to change overnight and is a process but you will see the progress when you stick to it.

4. Regarding his "rejection" of you, I think it would help for you to accept where he is right now, not take it personally and maybe rethink your perception about what he is doing. It is a wonderful thing for your child to have a dad he can admire and spend time with. Try and be thankful for that instead of feeling rejected that he is preferring someone over you. There will still be some things that only mommy can do and you will have a place in his heart that no one can fill. He is an active little boy and it is only natural with his personality that he just doesn't slow down for hugs and kisses. I would concentrate on finding other ways to bond with him outside of physical affection and just really cherish those hugs and kisses when they do come around. It is not a personal thing if he doesn't say goodbye when you leave him somewhere. It shows that he loves activity, socialization and independence. That is a good thing plus it would be way harder on you if he was screaming in terror every time you went somewhere new. It is great that he adapts well and you and dh can enjoy dates together.

5. I think you are stressing a little too much over his eating habits. If you are concerned with his weight gain, speak to your ped but it does seem like his habits are common for his age. Try more finger foods so he can feed himself. He might just not want food when spoon fed and wanting to do it himself. Add some variety to his favorites, add peanut butter on top of the crackers or put the banana slices on top of yogurt and let him try using a spoon on his own. If he is taking small bites of new foods than that is great, at least he is trying. Don't make meals into a battle because right now, it seems that you have more than enough battles to deal with first.

6. Keep encouraging him to talk. I know it is easier sometimes just to give him what he wants if you know what he wants but take the extra time to make it a learning opportunity. If he wants his truck, you can say "look there's the truck, would you like your truck?, say truck please, okay here's your truck" and then give it to him. Yes, it sounds sort of crazy like you are talking to yourself but repetition is the key to learning with your little one. Keep signing and make a big deal if he tries to say another babble or sign for something. As far as him making numerous requests, sometimes you need to make the decision for him or give him a this/that choice so he is not overwhelmed with options. If he is confused about which toy to have, pick two for him and ask him "do you want your truck or teddy bear". Organizing and purging his toys will really help with this too. Encourage him to play on his own and make his own decisions so he is not constantly looking to you to figure everything out for him.

7. Just because you and your dh are very mellow does not necessarily mean that you were like that as children or that your son won't be like that when he grows up. Comparing is not going to do any good for now. It sounds like a lot of his tantrums could be due to being overtired or bored. If you don't have a daily routine, I would figure one out asap. Keep him engaged throughout the day. That doesn't mean that you have to entertain him. It means that he knows what to expect with the routine and he has plenty of opportunities to keep his mind and body active (and wear him out!). Do activities with him, go outside, take him places, whatever it takes to keep him from wandering aimlessly and getting into trouble. Start a game for him and then step back and let him take over. Some kids need a little extra help to learn how to even play with their toys. As for tantrums, I would make sure he is safe and then walk away and do not give him attention for that sort of action. You just have to teach him that kicking and screaming is not the way to get what you want. I do a "cry corner" for my kids. They can be upset as long as they need but they have to stay on that rug in the corner until they are ready to be happy again. My two year old will cry and then say "happy" when she is ready to come out. I don't try to figure out what is wrong in the middle of the cry fest and don't try to offer this and that in an effort to console them. They are allowed to be upset and express those feelings but they are not allowed to hurt anyone else in the process and will not receive what they are wanting until they calm down (of course, they don't get what they want if it is against the house rules).

Don't worry about what he may or may not due in the future at play groups. For right now he is doing well and enjoying it. It sounds like he is behaving well there and that is just another indication that he really thrives on socialization and activity. You are not doing anything wrong by sitting back as he and the other kids work out their social skills with each other. Of course intervene if he is honestly getting hurt but otherwise, let him have the independence to work it out on his own. I am sure he will push or take toys on occasion especially as he becomes one of the older kids and step in if you have to to teach him what behavior is acceptable. It is just something that happens as kids get together and it doesn't sound like it is bothering him too much so I wouldn't let it worry you.

I hope that nothing I said came off as critical or too harsh. I am honestly trying to help. I would just keep some goals in mind of how you want your son to behave and keep working towards those goals. It is hard when you have all those baby memories so fresh in your mind but I think it is time to regroup like you said and begin to face these issues knowing that you have a little boy now and not a baby. He can understand some basic rules and structure and your whole family will benefit. Get dad involved...he might have some ideas that you have not thought about or might be able to teach and influence your son in a way you can't. It sounds like you have a great heart and the best intentions for your son. Teaching and training and saying no sometimes shows your love as well. Best wishes to you mama!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote