Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
keelykellen&kiera
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Non/delayed vaxing mamas, help please

Kiera was born at 35.1 weeks and was pretty healthy except for feeding/gaining issues. She was on oxygen (near her face, not via mask) for about three hours and then on an oxygen monitor for another 24 hours. She has been very healthy, just one tiny cold at 5 weeks. Because she was a preemie she has been getting Synagis injections to prevent RSV. We have just begun to re-think vaxing, first two are fully vaxed.

Her pedi's office just called to say they are looking at the data for RSV in our area and it is not good. Still lots of it around. We thought she was done after her March injection (it's an every 4 weeks) and now they are saying we will need to come in tomorrow and possibly even one more time.

What do you think? Any preemie moms not do Synagis? Anyone else researched it? I don't have alot of time to do research... hoping for some input on top of what I can find in the limited time I have.

thanks a bunch!

Advertisement

Keely 8.3.02 Kellen 4.20.04 Kiera 7.11.06 Kade 4.24.11 born @32 weeks
keelykellen&kiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Shawna_L
Banned

Re: Non/delayed vaxing mamas, help please

My understanding is that Synagis is not actually a vaccine. Just a dose of antibodies against RSV.

The NICU/Preemie board over at MDC has quite a bit of info all in one spot. Just do search in the forum for Synagis.
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I'm a non vaxer now, and my DS was born @ 34 weeks w/gastroschisis and caught RSV in the NICU before he left, RSV in a preemie is something you simply don't want to take a risk of. It nearly killed my DS (Lungs colasped twice from it) and it did kill 2 of the other preemies it infected, and one of them was supposed to go home the day she died.

However, my DD got it @ 8 weeks and it was nothing more than a cold for her, but she was 37 weeks gestation w/no health problems and was not considered a risk for RSV.

For me, if I ever has another baby in the dangerous risk category for RSV, even though I do not vax, I would get that shot.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

We did they Synagis, too. DD was born at 30 weeks. I've heard about kids getting it and didn't want to take a chance.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
kimsclothkids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GET THE SYNAGIS!!! I have 2 premature kids. One was born at 29 weeks and the other almost 31 weeks gestation. RSV is such an aweful problem. Kids are dying from it every day. Please, for the sake of your child, get it.
WOHM to NoahJacoband MeganLoving wife to my #1 man, Aaron I have a one of a kind family and a one of a kind life and I'm loving every minute of it!
kimsclothkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
DEmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

with a high risk baby, I wouldn't risk it, thats just my personal opinion. You need to do what feels right for you and your child.
DEmom is offline   Reply With Quote