Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

How many gates should I have??

just ahhh~

We have three floors in our home now... I never needed to worry about gates where we used to live as it was all one floor. Well tonight after putting on a pair of leggings with grips on them on dd, I ran upstairs to get my camera to get a picture. In the minute it took me to get back, she'd made her way across the living room hardwood floor and she had CLIMBED up the two stairs! she's only 8 months old... is this NORMAL? She's been pulling herself up since she was four months old (insane I tell you).

So how many gates should I be getting?

What ones are better than others for steps?

I have two sets of stairs, and I already put gates on the two kitchen enterances for our pets... I need some advice here... my heart about dropped when I looked back at dd sitting there on the steps about to fall back.
(hope i posted this in the right place, too)

~TIA

Advertisement

hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many gates should I have??

I have a wooden swing gate for my stairs and I have two of those mesh gates that you can shorten or lengthen for my living room/foyer, and my dining room/kitchen doorways. My living room and dining room are basically a huge playpen. I use those gates because my older boys can go over them easily and they are quite sturdy.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
mama23boys
Banned
seller

bascially gate any doorway you dont want her going...our living room flows into the bedrooms/bathroom so the doors are closed or we have 4 gates up. so my living one big playroom.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysforme View Post
I have a wooden swing gate for my stairs and I have two of those mesh gates that you can shorten or lengthen for my living room/foyer, and my dining room/kitchen doorways. My living room and dining room are basically a huge playpen. I use those gates because my older boys can go over them easily and they are quite sturdy.
how far across do those mesh gates go? it's awkward here

also, do you have a gate at the top and bottom of the stairs? like a permanent one? or one that can be removed?

Last edited by hackermd; 04-09-2007 at 06:36 PM.
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We only have a wooden attached gate to the top of our stairs....but we just shut doors (well not anymore because he can open them, even with the childproofing on them) to keep him out of where we did not want him, but we could do that.
I would have a gate for any doorway/area that you don't want your dc to get into.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
moparop
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackermd View Post
also, do you have a gate at the top and bottom of the stairs? like a permanent one? or one that can be removed?
We have a gate at the top and at the bottom of our stairs. They are bolted into the wall as that adds a lot more stability.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackermd View Post
how far across do those mesh gates go? it's awkward here

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...tId=2267000&cp
this one is in my living room and foyer doorway. These are great for uneven doorways or moulding near the floor because the bottom can be adjusted to be shorter than the top or vice versa. Older houses usually aren't square and this would help with that too. This is a fairly wide gate- I have a smaller version in my dining room/kitchen doorway.
My wooden swing gate is also a really wide one but it is 2 pieces that slide into each other. It is permanent but can be lifted out of the hardware- which it is now. It stretches across and latches to close.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote