Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
2 year old keeps waking at night

so heres a little background: i have nursed my ds3 bastian to sleep at night for 2 years. i nursed him to sleep in our bed, then later moved him to his crib/bed. at about 20 months he stopped waking at night for nursings finally! he would sleep until usually 5-7 am then come into our bed for a bit. then we had jace in oct when bastian was 25 months. after that nothing has been the same. he wakes up every night now, anywhere from 12 am and up and cries and asks for milky. he only nurses once or twice a day now, if even. my dh has been putting him to bed since oct because i coudnt nurse him to sleep anymore. so my question is, is this really a nursing thing or an emotional thing or something else? he often wakes up and screams, cries, gets all over me, grabs at me so he can have milky. he often does it several times a night. he wakes me up more than my 3 month old. it just seems to me that if he wasnt waking before its not really a nursing thing. but i just dont know what to do to get him to sleep all night again. he is waking up me and dh and the baby every night now and im exhausted. please help me!

Beth - homeschooling, Christ loving mom to Magus '99, Malakai '01, Bastian '07, Jace '09, Step Mom to Seth '95, married to Damon, love of my life!
My last ds is pl'ed!
faiths13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: 2 year old keeps waking at night

it doesn't sound like a nursing thing. it sounds like a 2yr old thing. my 2yr old is an awful sleeper and we really had to work at getting him to stop coming into our bed. he now doesn't come into the bed but the bedroom until i tell him to go back to bed and say that i'll cover him after (which is probably a mistake). he also wakes up at night wanting me to cover him back up.

anyhow, we had similar problems without throwing in another baby. i can imagine that if he remembers the nursing seeing the baby doing it might trigger an emotional response.

we've been talking to DS2 about nursing and how it's for the baby since he still reaches in my shirt and drives me batty. he is starting to understand that it is for the baby and that when he was little he also got to nurse (which is what we chose to do). he stopped nursing around 26 months or so and acts completely oblivious that he used to nurse... and he's 32 months now which amazes me that he doesn't remember!!

we got him to stop climbing into bed with us in 3 days by talking to him about not coming in when he did come into the room and not letting him. there were tears for one night where we removed him from the room all together but he calmed down, by himself, and was able to then talk to me calmly about going back into his room. that was the worst night, number one, and since then it's been getting better & better. the one thing that helps me is remembering (which i don't) that he is capable to go back into his bed by himself (one of the things he wanted was for me--at 30some weeks preggo--to carry him back to bed) and he's also capable to fall asleep by himself. he's just darn capable!! it's tough for sure and i dread the next time he is sick since there is a huge recovery...

Good luck.
marisal is offline   Reply With Quote