Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Jenine615
Registered Users
seller

Stay at home Dad resources?

For my family right now (my DH and I have two kiddos, ages 3 yrs and 7 mos), the best situation is where I work full time out of the home and he stays at home.

As the little one gets older and goes longer between feedings, it is becoming increasingly easier for them to get out of the house and do things, since he doesn't have to heat up BM bottles on the go.

However, we are having trouble finding any resources for SAHD. There are a couple SAHM groups we joined that welcome him, but meeting other dads has been tough. He doesn't mind doing things with other mamas, but I think he does get a little offended when they have Mom night out, and I go. Plus, there are some topics that he doesn't really have much to say on (BF, etc) and would love to have dads to share his comments and complaints with. Does anyone have any advice? Are there other SAHD out there? (we live in South Jersey, close to Philly, if this helps).

Thanks!

Advertisement

Jenine615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Stay at home Dad resources?

There are SAHD out there but they are SO hard to find. If there aren't any groups, what about having him start one. They could find a church or library to meet at. If I were him I would put out adds on craigslist and really any where that you can advertise for free.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

my DF is a SAHD while he finishes school, but we're in CA. I agree w/ the pp, have him start a group!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My hubby will be a SAHD in 2 months.

I think starting a group wouldn't be a bad idea. I know my DH would be a little too shy to do it, but he'd probably attend one if it was available where we live.

Good luck!

letterpress printer + graphic designer open for business - my portfolio
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH has been a SAHD for over a year now. I'm curious too for some good resources for him
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

maybe he could start out by getting a yahoo group or something going, that way people can make their way to it and then plan meet-ups that way! of course, i know nothing about making a yahoo group, much less finding one, but it seems like a good idea

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
teal
Registered Users

All your DHs should start their own groups if they can't find one!!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm a SAHD, and have been since DS was born 4 years ago. In that time, I've met 1 other SAHD. We're friends and we used to hang out with our kids 3-5 days a week, but he and his family moved 90 minutes away last summer. We still get together, but only 1-2 times per month. Unfortunately, I live in an area where there aren't too many other at home dads, and the moms aren't too friendly.

You might send him to http://www.dadstayshome.com/.
It's a forum for SAHDs and there are a number of NJ/Philly area dads on there, and they get together sometimes, so he may find a playgroup or two. If nothing else, it's certainly a nice outlet to have other men who are at home to interact with, even if it's just online.

If your area has a Holistic Moms group (though I take issue with all parenting groups/magazines/resources always being directed solely at mothers), they might also be a resource. I know the one in our area has at least one other dad, and they're a bit more friendly to dads than the local MOMS club, at least IME.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Jenine615
Registered Users
seller

Thanks. Unfortunately, even in these times, it seems like SAHD are few and far between. My hubby is reluctant to start a group, simply because he isn't quite organized enough. I think we will try some of the websites and see if we get any hits from craigslist.
Jenine615 is offline   Reply With Quote