Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
mommyofmonkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For those who have given birth and had a nursling

How did that work? I'm planning a birth center birth, possibly a home birth and my 19 month old is still nursing. I don't see her stopping anytime soon. My milk is drastically going bye bye, and it isn't seeming to affect her, other than her wanting to nurse MORE. Could this just be a step before she decides to wean herself? It's really hurting to nurse now that I don't have any milk. 1 side is completely dried up, the other is well on it's way.

If she does continue nursing, I guess my question is how do I continue that while in labor?? I was thinking about it tonight, and dh wants to leave the kids with his parents while we're at the birthing center, but I don't know how well my youngest will do with that. I know months can change a lot, but right now she needs her "milkies" to go to bed at night. Just wanting some stories on how you did it.

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
cwieberdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For those who have given birth and had a nursling

I have tandem nursed three times. I currently have a nursling also so I guess I'm going to do it again. LOL.

My milk dried up by 13 weeks all four times but it never stopped the nursling. Now, for me, I had a homebirth, then a hospital birth, then another homebirth.

The hospital birth was the hardest cuz it was very long, ended in surgery, and we had no family to help with the kids. The homebirths were the easiest, because the toddler would come in and nurse as I could tolerate. Nipple stimulation! LOL. AFTER the baby had nursed, then I would let the toddler nurse. It also really helped with engorgement after my milk came in.

If your toddler is comfortable with your mom, then maybe your mom could come to the birth center with you just to watch your little one while you are birthing???
cwieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

My millk dried up at 16 weeks and was back by 29 weeks. We (painfully) nursed dry throughout then.

I am not planning on nursing while in labor DS will be 2.5 and he can deal with a sippy for a little while
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
mommyofmonkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe we'll just take her with us. I'm not sure how it will all work out. I know my husband will not want to be worrying about her while trying to coach me. I was just trying to get a feel of what others did and maybe get some ideas for myself
Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

I am still nursing.. It's really sensitive to me right now. I am also noticing cramps around it too. My DS is 15 months. He mostly nurses at nap and bedtime. I am hoping to encourage him to settle into another bedtime routine soon.

My DS 3... Self weaned- when I was about 16-19ishwks preggo with his brother (at the time he was 20 or 21 months I can't remember).. It was encouraged but gentle. He too was only bedtime nursing. I would cuddle him and simply roll over to expose my back for him to snuggle up to. There was no fight. I am pretty sure I was mostly dry at that time anyway and nursing was super uncomfortable.

Just my experience, and what we are doing now.

Good Luck..
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

i nursed through my second pregnancy, my milk dried up at about 17-18 weeks, and i just gritted my teeth through it.. when i was in labor my mom was downstairs with her.. she was fine, Grammi is a HUGE distraction and when my DS was born she nursed.. my mom took her for the first couple nights (she had just turned 2) and my mom just did our bedtime routine with her minus the nursing and she did just fine.. they know when its not around and are surprisingly adaptable.. and when my milk came back in boy was she excited!!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
cwieberdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmonkeys View Post
Maybe we'll just take her with us. I'm not sure how it will all work out. I know my husband will not want to be worrying about her while trying to coach me. I was just trying to get a feel of what others did and maybe get some ideas for myself
If you're going to take her with you, really think hard about bringing someone with just to watch her... what if she's crying, or decides she doesn't want to be in the room? What if she gets hungry, who will make her food? Would you want your husband to have to miss the birth to take care of her? Would you be able to relax? Even in a homebirth, I tell the parents one of their responsibilities is to have childcare that is not the dad available for the other children.
cwieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
lovemyryguy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm interested too, I have an 18mo nursling - and honestly, this is one of the reasons I wanted to plan a homebirth. He only nurses to go to sleep by now (my milk was gone by about 14 weeks), but when I first got pregnant he was nursing about 6-7 times a day. But, I'm REALLY hoping for my milk to come back before the very end, and if it does, I'm sure he'll really pick it up again.

I'm planning on nursing in the beginnings of labor. (if I can handle just sitting still) I think the nipple stimulation is good for helping the contractions along so there's benefit for both of us. My mother will be at the birth to be the person in control of him while DH is with me. But, if he wants to come into the room, or be with me, or nurse, then as long as I can stand the pain - I'll allow it.

Anyway, that's my plan - I'll only know after the fact if it was best for me and my family. I would say if you are planning a birth center birth, I would imagine they will allow your LO to be in the room, and maybe just have someone to come and watch her? Good luck!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
mommyofmonkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the input. I'll probably just wait and see how she does as the time gets closer. I just like to have some kind of plan if I can.
I'm not okay with dh missing everything, so I'll be sure to have someone else there to care for my dd if we take her with us. She'll be just over 2 when I have the baby, so maybe her "You're not my mommy" anxiety will be better by then.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't nurse my toddler at all during labor (actually I think her nursing that morning is kind of what got things going in the first place) or for the first 24 hours as i was in hospital, and H1N1 restrictions. She is just 2 though, so she can tolerate a day or two without any milk as long as she has other distractions. She only asks for it when I am around anyway, if I'm not there I don't think she thinks about it. I wouldn't worry too much about it, i personally didn't want to have her around for the first 24 hours just so that I could get nursing established with my newbie without having her asking me as well.