Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Red face Any other *vintage* mamas? I got questions!

Hey Mamas.... Please don't be offended by the vintage comment....had to get your attention somehow and it's a bit more tongue-in-cheek than "advanced maternal age".
Anyway, a bit about me and then some questions (I think everyone in my DDC is like 25 ). I am 39, will be 40 in October and due with my 5th in June (and planning on 2 more if my eggs and health hold up!). My ages when the boys were born: 23 (on my b-day), 24, 25 (almost 26) and 27 (almost 28). This pregnancy has been really BAD compared to the boys. I am 21 weeks and still puking every few days, (sometimes it gets cyclical and I can't stop). I am having horrid ligament pain, can't walk sometimes bc of it and hip separating issues, horrible emotional mood swings, I cry or yell seemingly most of the time....I could go on and on, lol (no really, I could). So I am curious about other mamas on the board. Oh, and even though I am "older", I am not getting any tests done, at all. Planning a 3rd homebirth.

1. How old are you?
2. Are you a first time mom over, let's say, age 35?
3. If you have several children, are they close in age? Or was there a break? (I have mom friends who are in their 40s but have been having babies every 2 yrs since they were 19 or so, so they seem "normal" when pregnant)
4. If you had kids when you were younger and then after a break, are pregnant again, did you notice a difference?
5. Anything you'd like to share- questions, personal experiences, empathy , etc.
TIA!

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
McMamma38
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any other *vintage* mamas? I got questions!

Vintage mom!

First off congrats!

Yes I'm a "vintage mama",I'm 41 yrs old and dh is 48 yrs.I'm due mid August and will turn 42 ,3.5-4 months after the baby's born.Dh will turn 49,3 months after the baby's born.

This is our 3rd(4th really as I had a baby born to heaven at 18.5 weeks,our dd Gracie ).

My age when I had our firstborn,our son Jim~24 at conception,25 at his birth.

My age when I had our second,dd Sarah~35 at conception and 36 at her birth.

My age at the birth of our angel Gracie~38 yrs.

After TTC(2.5 yrs) after we lost Gracie and loseing 3 tiny beans to early m/c,we are delighted to be expecting again!

I dont think about our ages or let it get us down.Dh and I definitly dont feel like our ages!
I'm just very grateful.

The one thing that I find is different is that I'm a lot more tired being pregnant at 41 than I was in my mid twenties w/ our first! Also noticed it w/ dd Sarah when I was 35.5 expecting her.

Other than that,I really love and enjoy being pregnant.Such a gift it is.

Good luck in your pregnancy,hope it's a healthy happy journey ending in the preciose gift of your baby's birth.I can think of no other more preciose gift than the gift of a child.

Editing to say~Our break between our first and second was due to undiagnosed Pcos(an infertilty issue for us) and my first early m/c.

Last edited by McMamma38; 01-31-2010 at 01:55 PM.
McMamma38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
cwieberdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. How old are you? I'm 40

3. If you have several children, are they close in age? Or was there a break? (I have mom friends who are in their 40s but have been having babies every 2 yrs since they were 19 or so, so they seem "normal" when pregnant) My closest two are my first two at 20 months apart. Then the rest are mostly about 30 months, my 6th and 7th were almost 5 years apart. My 7th and 8th will be almost exactly 3 years apart.

4. If you had kids when you were younger and then after a break, are pregnant again, did you notice a difference? I'm way more tired. I'm way more emotional. I was before I got pregnant! Physically, I feel great. My hips/back don't hurt. I"m not having heartburn. My weight is higher than I want, and I"ve gained faster than before.

5. Anything you'd like to share- questions, personal experiences, empathy , etc.
TIA! Pregnant women are crazy. That is all. Me included! LOL. I think it's harder on your body to be pregnant as a "vintage" mom, but not as bad as docs would have you believe.
cwieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
4kkz
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a 'vintage' dh/dad, LOL. He is 47 and has a 21 year old and almost 19yo from previous marriage.
no circ:babywearing, organic And step mom to Sarah & Rachel
4kkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
McMamma38
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kkz View Post
I have a 'vintage' dh/dad, LOL. He is 47 and has a 21 year old and almost 19yo from previous marriage.
My "vintage" dh will be happy to hear he's not the only one!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
BookishMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

1. How old are you? I'm 36, so I am considered Advanced Maternal Age by my OB.

2. Are you a first time mom over, let's say, age 35? No, DS was born when I was 31.

3. If you have several children, are they close in age? Or was there a break? (I have mom friends who are in their 40s but have been having babies every 2 yrs since they were 19 or so, so they seem "normal" when pregnant) Assuming that DD is born after February 3rd DS and DD will be exactly 5 1/2 years apart. We were sort of planning for 3 1/2 years apart, but it didn't work out that way.

4. If you had kids when you were younger and then after a break, are pregnant again, did you notice a difference? Well, although the space between my two isn't as significant as some (like my SIL whose two older girls were 20 and 15 when her youngest was born), I think my body is telling me that this is the last time for me.

Although I had the nuchal translucency test with both pregnancies I refused the AFP (Triple/Quad Screen) blood test both times and also refused CVS, and Amnio. Due to family history (my brother) of hypoplastic left heart syndrome I have to have level II u/s and fetal echocardiogram at around 23-25 weeks and that is one test I won't refuse since it's much better for the baby to be born in a hospital with a top level NICU if he or she has HLHS and my OB's usually deliver at the hospital with a less well equipped NICU.

Last time we went in, had the u/s, had the echo and then were sent along on our merry way. This time we had the u/s, had the echo and then were sent down the hall to the geneticist to discuss risk factors. The only difference between this time and last time is my age.

On the humorous side, the day of my first OB appointment with this pregnancy I scoffed at being called Advanced Maternal Age by my OB and he said, "How do you think it makes me feel? I'm 15 years older than you are."

TIA!
DS (6), DD (Born 2/15/2010)
BookishMama is offline   Reply With Quote