Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
daizydoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

using calgon on dipes

I am having problems with stinky prefolds and microfiber towels. They are fine when I take them out of the wash but after dd wets they smell aweful. I have heard you can use calgon water softener to strip dipes and get smells out. Is it safe to use on dipes and covers that are made out of PUL or should I just use on fitteds,prefolds, and microfiber?

Debbie

Advertisement

daizydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: using calgon on dipes

have you tried doing this?

http://www.borntolove.com/column8.html

this link might help you too

http://www.borntolove.com/column6.html

here just found this too. it talks about using calgon at the very bottom but doesn't give specifics like your asking.

http://www.orangestarfish.com/caretips.html

Last edited by cblurose; 06-09-2006 at 02:21 PM.
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
hlahickman
Registered Users
seller

I've used it on my pockets with no problems.

since I think my stink issues are due to hard water, I wash with washing soda and a squirt of dawn and then put the calgon water softener in the fabric softener area - that way the rinse is "good" water.
So far no problems.
I have just washed inserts alone with bleach as well (still using the calgon)
hlahickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ive used it also with great success. I would use it over using dawn.

First before you use it make sure you have a buildup. To do that put all oyur diapers in the wash and make the water super super hot. as hot as you can get it. Then dont add anything and just let the washer aggitate for a bit. make it a long cycle. If theres suds then you have a buildup and Calgon will work. If theres no suds then your probably not adding enough detergent. IF you add to much you ahve problems, if you dont add enough you have probelms, so its important to get the right amount of detergent.

If you ahve the suds, then you can try to just keep washing them in the really hot water. Ive done it with PUL and pockets and it hasnt done anything to them. It will take a few washes but once the suds are mostly if not completly gone then youve gotten the extra buidlup and detegent out of the diapers. Most times that works for me.
After youve washed them in the hot water and gotten all of the suds out and they are still stinking then use the Calgon. I only used 1/4 cup per large load adn REALLY hot water with a tablespoon of detergent. Make it a super long cycle too. Lastly, make sure you rinse out oyur diapers a few times after the calgon to make sure its all out of the diapers.

This is a really easy method and its worked great for me. Make suer youfind the Clagon water Softener, its in a blue box in the laundry section. Its near the bleaches and fabric softeners.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
theelf
Registered Users
seller

I use Calgon in every wash load (I use pockets). It neutralizes hard water. Hard water causes buildups because the minerals in the water trap the soap causing buildup. Calgon keeps the minerals from trapping the soap (and stink). I would strip your diapers using hot water, and then use Calgon with every load after that to help prevent buildup.

Kim M.
theelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use calgon in every washload w/ my pockets too. I have really hard water. So far, so good.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used Calgon with my pockets as well. We have medium water, so I only use it every couple of weeks. I have not had any problems.
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Calgon here too. Sometimes I use washing soda too instead of detergent. I have moderately hard water, so I use 1 time per week. No stink or issues yet.