Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
4kkz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question birth plan?

Ok, this may sound weird, but this is my 4th child and I've never had a birth plan. I mean, I never officially written anything out. How does one go about that and whom do you give it to? Does it really matter??? I mean I've had ideas on how I want my labor to go, but they were all different and I don't think any birth 'plan' I had written would have changed it.

Advertisement

no circ:babywearing, organic And step mom to Sarah & Rachel
4kkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
cwieberdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: birth plan?

Birth plans help hospital staff know your wishes. They are helpful if there are things you want or don't want that are different than the usual protocol
cwieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
4kkz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, I understand that, but who do you give it to? I mean we are anti circumcising and breastfeeding so no artificial nipples,etc. But all I've done in the past and will this time is make a sign. And made sure my wishes were known.
I'm giving birth in a different hospital this time. Private and less births/per day. Plus only one nurse to a laboring mom.
no circ:babywearing, organic And step mom to Sarah & Rachel
4kkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
phantomriver
Registered Users

My Mood:

A copy you give to your doctor/MW and one that you bring with you and give to the L&D nurse at the hospital.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
tutumom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I found using a birth plan to be extremely helpful with my last 2 babies, especially when having a c-section birth. I took things that I did or did not like about my first birth, and then put what I wanted to do differently in my birth plan.

I made 3 copies-
1. For my doctor. Went over the plan with him in advance and then made changes as I needed to.
2. For the hospital. I go over it with them during a pre-admission visit. The maternity coordinator makes notes of my birth preferences and puts it all on the front of the chart.
3. For myself. Reading over it again before I went into the hospital helped me keep a clear plan of what I did and did not find acceptable about the birth. It also was nice to have a copy of the birth plan to tweek for the next baby's birth.

I hope this helps!
tutumom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
tutumom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, and you asked about whether it really matters- to me it sure did. With my first baby, I had an unplanned c-section. My baby was taken away from me for an hour after I was out of the O.R. He was bathed before I even got a chance to nurse him. When I finally did get to breastfeed for the first time, a nurse was standing over me the whole time making me feel incredibly uncomfortable.

With my next babies, I put in my birth plan that Baby was not leaving my sight unless truly medically necessary. I also put that I wanted to be left alone when breastfeeding for the first time. These are just a couple minor examples, but they were important for me. When I had my last 2 babies, the nurses read my birth plan before entering the room. They respected my wishes and I didn't even have to remind them to keep Baby with me or to give us space. They knew what we wanted and left us alone. It made the experience MUCH better!
tutumom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

I tell my clients to have a few copies in their hospital bags. Give (and go over) one with your provider BEFORE the birth, and make sure everything on your plan is okay with them - go over anything that isn't, why it isn't, other options, etc...

Go over your plan BEFORE your birth with your husband/partner, and with ANYONE who will be in the room with you consistantly during your labor.

Have a few handy in your hospital bag to give to the different nurses. You might labor during a shift change, a nurse may need to go home, you may have several nurses, etc... In some hospitals there is a white board in the room where nurses put info for you (their pager number, etc... -- this is typically in larger hospitals), tape one of your plans up on the board

I like birth plans for two reasons... 1) They come in handy WAY before labor to make sure that everyone is on the same page as the mom. And 2) If you are planning anything outside the 'norm' for a particular hospital (like no vaccinations, no eye ointment, etc...), you have it written down where everyone involved in your care can see it and understand it, so there is less of a chance of something you don't want done happening.

I would keep your plans short and sweet (I think bullets are handy for staff), and only include things that go outside the norm for the facility at which you're birthing (example: If they don't shave during a routine vaginal delivery, there's no need to include that you don't want to be shaved... or have an enema... etc...).

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
thefreckledmama
Registered Users
Formerly: Onomatopoeia

My Mood:

My last birth was my first with a birth plan. I made multiple copies, and ended up using 3. The first went to my OB, who I went over it with at one of my later prenatal appointments. We both signed it, and it went in my chart. The second went to the hospital for my chart there-but my OB has already sent a copy with my chart over. The third was placed on my door, so anyone who entered my room was able to see it. I think it's a good idea to ask anyone taking part in your care at the hospital to sign off on having read your birth plan. Another good idea is to ask your doctor or call the hospital and request to see the consent forms you fill out BEFORE you're going in to have the baby, so you actually have time to read through all the small print when you're not in labor. That way you can know beforehand when signing the consent to treat, what you're signing in terms of blanket consent. That way if you run into a situation such as (heaven forbid) your son being circumcised against your wishes, you know that you didn't give consent when signing your admission forms, KWIM?

IME, a birth plan is a good idea, especially if you desire anything that deviates from standard procedure. Even if you don't, it's just a good way of letting your doctor and nurses know what your wishes are regarding your birth. While I'm on the more natural side, and my birth plan consists of mostly what I do NOT want, I know women who use it for things they DO want, like the epidural as soon as they are able to receive it, the baby to be formula fed, the baby kept in the nursery at night, etc. That way you're not constantly being asked about your stance on everything.

Just to give you a jumping off point, here's what I have on my birth plan (so far):

Please obtain informed consent prior to any procedures or medications administered to Mom or Baby.

Labor and Birth

Please do not offer pain medication; I will request it if desired.
I prefer a saline lock; and only if it is medically necessary.
I would like intermittent monitoring with a Doppler so I may be free to move around as needed.
I would like minimal vaginal exams.
I prefer my membranes to rupture spontaneously.
Please do not direct me when or how to push, I will follow my body’s natural urges.
Please delay clamping and cutting the umbilical cord until the placenta has detached from the uterine wall; or at least has stopped pulsing.
I would like to deliver the placenta naturally (no pitocin or cord traction).
We will be keeping the placenta, and will have any necessary paperwork available.

Regarding Baby:
No separation; if the baby leaving my room is necessary, my husband or I will accompany him.
No pacifiers or bottles (including sugar water).
No prophylactic eye ointment.
No Vitamin K injection.
No Hepatitis B vaccination.
No Circumcision

Other
In the event a caesarean birth becomes necessary:
I wish for my husband to accompany me into the operating room.
I wish for my husband to remain with Baby at all times after his birth.
I would like my incision closed in two layers.
I would like to initiate breastfeeding immediately following surgery.

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge my wishes for the birth of my child.