Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #31
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

So far my family has taken it in stride and kept their mouths shut for the most part. My mom CD'd me and BF and BW her kids till 13-15 months so I'm not all that much "crunchier" than she was.
Mom expressed concern that co-sleeping might mess up my intimate relationship with DH but when DD was 5.5mo and I turned up pg again, she changed her tune.
Now that DS2 is 19 months and discusses nursing with me, she says little things like "He'll be weaning soon" and whatnot. She's ready for him be done with it. Good thing she's not nursing him.

My FIL's fiance doesn't understand bare bottom PLing. Then again. I don't get training pants either.

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #32
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

I'm super fortunate to have a very understanding family. My mom cloth diapered both my and my brother, and breastfed for a year with both too. She created her own version of a sling too MIL also EBF and is all for the cloth diapers. The only thing she has issues with (big ones!) is co-sleeping. But DF explained to her that it's not her decision.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #33
crunch!910
Registered Users

My mother thought it was really gross that I was going to "let a kid suck on my tit" to put it in her exact words. She didn't think cloth diapers were gross, but when she heard about me using mama cloth, she thought that was disgusting. I don't tell a lot of people that we do not vaccinate DS, so I don't get too much flack for that. My mom's side would NOT be supportive if they knew. Surprisingly, MIL is quite supportive of our decision to not vaccinate, to do elimination communication, and anything else. She knows we have DS's best interest in mind, and will do the right thing always.
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #34
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My side - cloth diapers
ILs - NO EPIDURAL?! extended bfing?! cosleeping?! Somehow after 3 kids, all of whom have been cosleepers beyond toddlerhood (well 2, since DS3 hasn't met toddlerhood yet!) MIL felt she should suggest putting DS3 in a baby bed because we probably needed privacy. Oh, but then we'd likely have more kids, of which they would not approve either.

Ohhh and MIL really doesn't like my no-vax thing. My mom isn't crazy about it but she knows better than to push over it.

Last edited by boy-oh-boy; 02-04-2010 at 10:36 PM.
boy-oh-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #35
metalchick1000
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom totally disagrees with cosleeping, and think mama cloth is disgusting.
My MIL is still skeptical about CDing (though we've been doing it for 5 months with no sign of quitting), she keeps telling us to "get that baby in a crib", and thinks we're ridiculous for cutting out juice and limiting sugar.
If we had a boy, I can guarantee you everyone would have freaked out about not circing. And if I'd kept EPing, I'm fairly certain I'd start hearing "are you done yet?" starting now. As it is, they all think I'm crazy for stashing almost 3000 ounces in my freezer, even though it means Dee will likely never have formula.
Guess we're pretty lucky, we get kvetched at for less than other people do!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #36
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My family rarely questions much that I do since I am a black sheep Ironically thanks to a great Dr, most of the things I am doing my Mom did. CDing, EBF, no jared food, and natural birth. So it's the norm for her.

I know they think I hold him too much but don't care and my family and inlaws were really curious about EC but now I hear them brag that DS uses the toliet

Mostly my family doesn't say much since they know I will do as I wish no matter what they say.

Last edited by Fairycat; 02-04-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #37
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not vaxing. And if we have another baby I'm hoping to have a HB with a MW. That will raise some eyebrows, especially with my history.
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #38
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Biggest one is and always will be that we don't circ. My mom has to make a comment every time she visits and each time I'm preggo she tries to talk me into circing the next one. Give it up.

And of course our homebirths/ unassisted birth was NOT approved of. We just didn't talk about it.

Having more than 2.5 kids... we have 5 and growing

Co-sleeping

Extended nursing (2.5-3yrs0

Unschooling (My mom has her PhD in Education)

No so much Not-vaxing anymore bc my kiddos have gotton older (odest is 11.5), but that use to be a big one

ERF is weird and MUST hurt/deform their legs.

I am definitly the weird one in the family and everyone likes to make sur that I know that.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #39
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

With DS, everybody was the most freaked out by breastfeeding...then they were more freaked out when he nursed until he was 20 months old. Nobody bats an eye at 20 month DD nursing now.
We got a lot not-so-nice comments about co-sleeping with DS...at a family party, my sister asked quite loudly "how do you get to have sex?" to which I equally loudly replied "easy, the couch you're sitting on is great for it" and then we announced our pregnancy with DD...the whole thing kind of shut everybody up after that lol
I'd been CD'ing for a few months by the time DD arrived, but everybody was suprised that we stuck with it with two kids in diapers and a VERY small stash at the time. I was literally washing diapers everyday, and when the rotovirus vax gave her rotovirus, I was washing diapers 2 to 3 times a day...everybody was so sure I would quit after that, but we didn't One of my sisters is going to school for nursing and originally did not approve of the delayed vax schedule we chose for DD...but after showing her the research, she's now a big advocate. Practically every paper she has to write is on the dangers of vaccinations and the benefits of delayed/selective schedules and not vaxing IL's know there is no point in arguing with me so don't even try.

Last edited by smashncakes; 02-04-2010 at 10:25 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #40
Shaunam
Registered Users

Not circ'ing definitely. It was a foreign concept to every.single.person in my family.

Almost everyone thought cloth diapering was gross and too much work but they lightened up as soon as I showed them a fuzzi bunz.

The breastfeeding and extended bf'ing was no big deal to all but like one person.

Surprisingly, not vax'ing was accepted pretty well.

They think slings and carriers are cool.

We were all co-sleepers so no big deal there.