Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
mamatje
Registered Users

Those who aren't privately banking cord blood...

Please consider taking a few minutes to go to http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Co...ife/index.html to register for a free cord blood donation kit - the kit and the donation are entirely free of charge, and the blood goes into a national registry for others who need it.

Advertisement

mamatje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
RochelleS
Registered Users
Formerly: shae
seller

My Mood:
Re: Those who aren't privately banking cord blood...

Thanks for posting this! We donated my daughter's cord blood.

One thing I want to clarify is that the "kit" you're requesting online is just the information kit. They don't send you test tubes or any of the equipment necessary for cord blood collection. That part must be done by medical staff at a hospital. You must be birthing at a hospital that is willing to participate in the program, as well. Many hospitals are on the participation list but some are not.

Something else that is important to remember is that you cannot donate cord blood if you want delayed cord clamping. The two are not compatible, so if delayed cord clamping is important to you, you will be unable to donate cord blood.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the process that anyone has!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
mamatje
Registered Users

I had my dd in Holland where blood banks are prohibited from offering private storage - they believe it to be a scam. Instead all cord blood is donated UNLESS you specify not to do it, which I think is the way it should be (at least for those who don't delay clamping as you mentioned). Here in IL we have a law that says the ob is supposed to inform you of your options but the nurse that gave that talk at my practice only knew what the private reps had told her, she had no clue you could donate which is such a shame.

I wish doctors and hospitals would promote this more, if anyone should understand how valuable this procedure which costs the patient absolutely nothing is surely it's them.
mamatje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately my local hospitals do not participate. I looked into donating w/ my first child too...still nothing.