Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: to start foods or to not start foods...hmmmm

9 months plus here and has only had a couple of bites of food... too allergic to everything but BM...Got a vicious rash from 1 spoon of carrots!!

More delaying of solids....

Advertisement

dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #12
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did start solids early and still feel like that was the right decision for us so I can't comment on that part of it (except to say trust your gut and do what your mama instincts tell you!), but I will tell you that I've read from numerous sources that the iron in breastmilk is much more easily absorbed than the iron in cereal. Can't remember the details but I'll look for a good link when I get a minute...I'm sure kellymom or Jack Newman have something. Anyway, the theory is, when they add all this stuff to the cereal, the nutrients don't get absorbed the same way that they do when it all comes through milk. In fact, and I may be wrong about this because it's been a year or so since I was there with DJ, I think I remember reading that when you introduce formula or cereal with added iron, it can actually make it harder for the baby to pull the iron out of the breastmilk.

If you're iron is low, you do need to keep an eye on things, but under normal circumstances, even older babies get all the iron they need from breastmilk and introducing iron-fortified cereal or formula can actually be counter productive. Check with your ped too...DJ's iron was extremely low when he was exclusively breastfed so ours recommended that we put him on a multivitamin with iron (Polyvisol? Like I said, it's been a while!) It was a liquid thing that we gave him once a day. On days that I worked, mom would put it in with a bottle of breastmilk, when he was with me all day and not taking a bottle, I'd just give him the drops straight. It smelled like dog poop but he never minded. After he'd been on solids for a while, we had his iron tested again and it was normal so we stopped the vitamins.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK, here's one about iron and starting solids...I LOVE kellymom!
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
Eliza-Bella
Registered Users

I decided to delay solids with my DD. She LOVES nursing and is very attatched to the boobies . I started giving her little nibbles here and there at 6 months, but nothing consistent. Now at 8.5 months, she eats maybe one meal a day (Yogurt, fruit, veggied, cereal puffs) and we have been able to pretty much avoid the jarred baby food altogether (I HATE THE SMELL!!!). She still nurses every 3-4 hrs and once or twice at night which I really enjoy. (I know I'm probably crazy!!! ) She is plump and healthy and her Dr. said that solids are not even absolutely neccesary until 1 yr. Anything before that is for fun and experimentation. So that's what we have done... HTH!
Eliza-Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #15
LilHippyMamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

breast milk is all he needs right now. I wouldn't start them just because he's showing signs of being physcically ready. There are still so many reasons not to start that early. I would wait till he's really just showing signs of grabbing at food and really not satisified and hungry. My first was started at 4 months also but my 2nd son wasn't started till 8 months