Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
tsk_mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Coffee maker died....AGAIN

sorry ... we've had ours for about 4 y rs!

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
nixy77
Registered Users
seller

Try the aerobie aeropress - THE BEST CoFFEE EEEVVVEERR! It is only $30 shipped and you will never go back to a drip coffee maker after tasting the coffee this produces
Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
elleystar
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixy77 View Post
Try the aerobie aeropress - THE BEST CoFFEE EEEVVVEERR! It is only $30 shipped and you will never go back to a drip coffee maker after tasting the coffee this produces
Have you ever used a French press, and if so how does the Aeropress compare? I just got a small one at Christmas so I'm curious. Also, can you cold-brew with the Aeropress? That was one of the things that made me want a French press, the option of cold-brewing a concentrate that could be kept in the fridge and used straight for iced coffees, or added to hot water for a hot cup of joe. If I can cold brew with the Aero I think I might be putting that on my birthday wishlist!
ETA: now I'm reading up on it on Amazon. Looks like the water temp you use to brew it with is only 80 degrees. It seems to me this would offer the same benefits as a regular cold brew (lower acidity and such).

(BTW, total thread hijack, but you made several pairs of shoes for my now 21 mo DS last year so I just HAD to click on your HC link to see what you've been up to. The green tractor shoes are TDF, and if I show DS that picture he'll freak. He loves John Deere tractors!)

Last edited by elleystar; 01-18-2010 at 01:14 PM.
elleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
nixy77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleystar View Post
Have you ever used a French press, and if so how does the Aeropress compare? I just got a small one at Christmas so I'm curious. Also, can you cold-brew with the Aeropress? That was one of the things that made me want a French press, the option of cold-brewing a concentrate that could be kept in the fridge and used straight for iced coffees, or added to hot water for a hot cup of joe. If I can cold brew with the Aero I think I might be putting that on my birthday wishlist!
ETA: now I'm reading up on it on Amazon. Looks like the water temp you use to brew it with is only 80 degrees. It seems to me this would offer the same benefits as a regular cold brew (lower acidity and such).

(BTW, total thread hijack, but you made several pairs of shoes for my now 21 mo DS last year so I just HAD to click on your HC link to see what you've been up to. The green tractor shoes are TDF, and if I show DS that picture he'll freak. He loves John Deere tractors!)
LOL Thanks mama Those shoes are some of my faves as well You can totally store the concentrate (esspresso) that you brew in the fridge for iced coffees - Aeropress is the bomb The least acidic coffee I have ever had
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
elleystar
Registered Users
seller

Bump!!!

My DH surprised me with the Aeropress for my birthday yesterday! I made it for the first time this morning and am drinking it now. The water was dripping into my mug so fast I thought for sure I was doing it wrong, but nope! This is the best tasting cup of coffee I have EVER had. I'm about to brew another into my travel mug to take while I grocery shop! (Oh and I was wrong about the water temp, that's 80 degrees C, so 175 F. Perfect drinking temp!)

My little Mr. Coffee might be going in a rummage sale this summer, lol!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #16
mookie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrymel View Post
I have a cuisinart automatic grind and brew and I love it. I've had it for years and the only complaint that I have is the inside can get a little gunky from grinding but I just put it in my sink and hose it down with hot water. I think costco has them at a pretty good price if you have access to that.
I've given up on anything but the Cuisinart. I don't have the grinder attached model, just the standard so I don't have this issue. Krups used to be the gold standard but their quality isn't what it used to be. Cuisinart has the longest warranty, 3 years vs. 1 year for everyone else. I grew up in a household where there was coffee on 24 hours a day (Dad was a morning person and Mom was a night owl) so we make our coffee makers work hard!
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #17
themummafamily
Registered Users

My Mood:

You might like this too

There has been a lot of talk about the Aeropress, and many experts have discovered that they are impressed when the water is 200*F (+/- 5*) and left to brew for about 3 minutes with an extra stir in the middle. Congrats. You picked a good one.

Last edited by themummafamily; 02-07-2010 at 01:34 AM.
themummafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #18
snazzymom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie View Post
I've given up on anything but the Cuisinart. I don't have the grinder attached model, just the standard so I don't have this issue. Krups used to be the gold standard but their quality isn't what it used to be. Cuisinart has the longest warranty, 3 years vs. 1 year for everyone else. I grew up in a household where there was coffee on 24 hours a day (Dad was a morning person and Mom was a night owl) so we make our coffee makers work hard!
Agreed...I love my cuisinart coffee maker!!!!!! Although unfortunately DH has broken 2 carafes but thankfully they are easy to replace (albeit slightly expensive...lol)
snazzymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #19
nixy77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleystar View Post
Bump!!!

My DH surprised me with the Aeropress for my birthday yesterday! I made it for the first time this morning and am drinking it now. The water was dripping into my mug so fast I thought for sure I was doing it wrong, but nope! This is the best tasting cup of coffee I have EVER had. I'm about to brew another into my travel mug to take while I grocery shop! (Oh and I was wrong about the water temp, that's 80 degrees C, so 175 F. Perfect drinking temp!)

My little Mr. Coffee might be going in a rummage sale this summer, lol!

That's awesome!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #20
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

i too love my cuisinart bed bath and beyond usually carries them in store, and the 20% coupons are easy to get ahold of. also, OP is your water hard? my parents go through coffee makers faster than some people go through shoes! they have extremely hard water. a coffee maker with a water filter (like the cuisinart) and reglarly descaling will increase the life of any coffee pot. i dont know anything about the gevalias tho.