Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #121
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviab View Post
The one they freak about the most is not vaccinating. They always ride me on it.Dh family the most.After that its the still breastfeeding at 2! When I first decided to cd they all laughed at me because They said It would never last.2 years and going strong. They all really hate the wool and cant believe I spend my money on it!
Awww, that makes me wanna !!! How can anyone NOT love the look of wool!!! My dd wears POCKETS & wool just for the "look"! JMHO though. WOOL!!!!

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #122
Elsaraw
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Everything!

we used a midwife
have never had an ultrasound
had a homebirth
wanted no visitors for a few days after the birth
no vax
no circ
no vit k shot, eye goop, etc
we are not fans of doctors, go rarely only to have it on paper that we went
that I sah and will with the kids
we will homeschool
my son has been wearing an amber teething necklace since he was 4 months old
we cloth diaper
we Ec'd (until ds didn't want to anymore)
that I continued to nurse him even though I wasn't able to bf him properly (no milk-IGT)
that at 25 months he still has his bottle (I would still be nursing him were I able)
that a majority of his toys are natural
that he doesn't know the characters to Sesame Street
that he is still rear-facing
that we've co-sleeped from day one and still will with our upcoming newborn

That's just parenting stuff.
We are "mocked" for eating completely organic, mostly raw, mostly vegan and live a very crunchy, green different lifestyle.

Fortunately, as time has passed they have just gotten used to it.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #123
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Everyone was pretty much accepting of our choice to cosleep, cloth diaper, exclusive & extended breastfeeding etc. The only thing they have a problem understanding are our food choices. I'm a big fan of organic, natural, raw etc, no HFCS, no cokes/soda/pop, no juice, no cow's milk, NO fast foods. Actually I think they understand my reasoning, they're just lazy about it. Its like its just too hard to put a little effort into making something for them to eat They're all used to "lets go to McDonalds" or pizza, Denny's, IHOP, (sit down fast food etc)

The inlaws are also quick to just rush off to a Dr at any little sneeze or administer meds. They about freaked when DS2 possibly had chickenpox Back in Bolivia, they had a Dr tell my FIL's mother that his younger sister died because ...and this is exact..."the wind blew her chicken pox into her blood stream because she took the little girl outside" ummmm if you have the cp, then its in you! Its not just a rash!
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #124
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no ones really freaked about anything, but my father thinking ERF is horrible and thinks that i strap him into his car seat too tight.
my father hates that nick and i are vegitarians.
my mom thinks im a little odd but doesnt give me too much crap about anything. when i was trying to BF nick, i was pumping and she all shyly asked me "can i see?" she was amazed, lol. (shes kinda (very) nieve).
people thought the CD was strange, but they dont give me crap about it. my dad will say stuff, but nothing real bad. (he loves to talk... he doesnt really mean anything he says, he just likes to be a pain, lol)

all i have to say is THANK GOD this baby is a girl, b/c i wouldnt be circing this time... NOONE agrees with that.

this isnt natural parenting, but i use family and mama cloth. the only one who knows about it is my mom. she thinks its NASTY but she doesnt really say much.

i guess im lucky, b/c even tho im the weird one, (and i know how they feel about things) they dont really speak strongly against what we do.

OH! to freak everyone out (which i love to do), i tell people that if i can actually produce milk this time, i will give nick pumped milk. haha, they dont get it and think its the grossest thing ever.

Last edited by jennym91005; 02-10-2010 at 02:08 PM.
jennym91005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #125
WiggleBean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know, I enjoy dairy products as much as the next person, but I really don't understand how people think consuming human milk after the age of 6 months (or less) is disgusting. Shouldn't it be more disgusting that we milk a completely different animal to consume its milk??
WiggleBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #126
amandabarugh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviab View Post
The one they freak about the most is not vaccinating. They always ride me on it.Dh family the most.After that its the still breastfeeding at 2! When I first decided to cd they all laughed at me because They said It would never last.2 years and going strong.They all really hate the wool and cant believe I spend my money on it!
My parents are the same way. They see no practical use in it at all. I keep telling them if it wasn't a practical buy, then my tight-wad of a husband wouldn't want me to spend money on it, but he likes that I have the kids in breathable multi-functional clothing like that (pants and cover).
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #127
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think encapsulating my placenta weirded a few friends out . but my family has been very supportive of my decisions although i think my mom is a bit nervous about not vaxing.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #128
CharlieInCharge
Registered Users

I think not circ'ing freaked my family out a little, but to their credit they never said anything negative about it. My mother also hyperventilated when I told her I was birthing without pain meds, and still doesn't like for me to talk in too much detail about my birth. It really upsets her for some reason, even though it doesn't upset me.

DH's family was definitely freaked out about not circ'ing, too, but haven't said anything about it since the day DS was born. They would also have a fit if they realized we don't follow the standard vaccine schedule, but they don't ask and we don't tell.

I think both sides of the family think we go a little overboard with not wanting our kids to have typical "kid food" (read: processed junk) all the time, but all things considered it's a minor battle. They've been very supportive of breastfeeding, though, even well past the first birthday.
CharlieInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #129
reneesavona
Registered Users

I had a natural birth using the Bradley method, you would think that would be applauded but I got so many rude comments about that from people saying that I wouldn't be able to handle it and I'd end up wanting the drugs or what was the point the drugs don't affect the baby (yeah right) etc... No surprise to me they were completely wrong I had the most beautiful memorable birth my daughter came out in just 3 pushes she was so alert and immediately started breastfeeding so it was absolutely worth every second( or rather hour) of labor. Since then there has been the litany of naysayers telling me I'm starving my baby by only breastfeeding and not supplementing with rice cereal or formula, putting her in danger by letting her sleep in our bed, spoiling her by holding her so much, I've even had people get upset that my husband and I don't use baby talk when we talk to her and on and on and on We've just started cloth diapering so we'll see how many negative nancys come out of the woodwork on that one and man I can't wait to hear what everyone will have to say when we start Montessori method homeschooling . There will always be people with negative opinions about anything that isn't the established norm (even though most of these things really should be) but its so refreshing to have found this site and see that there are so many parents out there that are forging their own path in the parenting world and doing a pretty darn great job at it. : )
reneesavona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #130
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggleBean View Post
You know, I enjoy dairy products as much as the next person, but I really don't understand how people think consuming human milk after the age of 6 months (or less) is disgusting. Shouldn't it be more disgusting that we milk a completely different animal to consume its milk??
SO TRUE!!!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote