Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

prefer natural fibers but need stay-dry...should I give up on natural fibers?

I prefer natural fibers and wool covers/longies/etc, but DS needs a stay-dry inner to avoid getting red. So I'm going to make all my diapers with microfleece inners. I still would prefer to use natural soaker fabrics, but is there really any point in avoiding the synthetic ones (zorb, since I know microfiber has its own drawbacks) since I'm already using one synthetic fabric?

Advertisement

Last edited by caedmyn; 02-11-2010 at 03:13 PM.
caedmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

Re: prefer natural fibers but need stay-dry...should I give up on natural fibers?

bumping back to the first page
Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
3lilkittens
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: prefer natural fibers but need stay-dry...should I give up on natural fibers?

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not, but I also need stay dry liners for dd's sensitive skin. We use a combo of FB's, BG's, and GM's with both wool and PUL covers. I much prefer my hemp inserts over microfiber in my pockets though, simply because it seems to hold a bunch more pee and is trimmer than the microfiber.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are you making pockets? I also need a synthetic inner fabric for my DD. So, I used suedecloth on my fitteds I made, and an athletic type material on the pockets I made.

I originally made microfiber inserts for my pockets and all of a sudden all my MF inserts have some strange stink (not ammonia). So, the beauty of the pockets is that I can make an insert out of any material I want but still have a stay-dry inner. So, I just got some bamboo fleece to sew up some inserts and they are much more trim.

The only negative to using synthetics is the tendancy to develop stink. But from what I gather, this can happen to hemp as well. I have no experience with Zorb so can't speak for it. Just be sure to sandwich in between layers of something else as I hear it tends to get wierd in the wash. This has put me off of using Zorb.

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/the PPs. My DS must have suedecloth inners so we use Rocky Mountain Diapers pockets and homemade RRPs. He can wear wool over his RRPs.

For inserts I mostly use premium infant PFs (unbleached cotton). I also have some hemp and some MF.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
thinkingahead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd say it is a lot easier to clean/strip one layer of fleece than many layers of synthetics, so I'd stick with your natural fabrics everywhere but the liner, although it kind of depends on why you liked natural fabrics.
thinkingahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingahead View Post
I'd say it is a lot easier to clean/strip one layer of fleece than many layers of synthetics, so I'd stick with your natural fabrics everywhere but the liner, although it kind of depends on why you liked natural fabrics.
That's true...though I haven't heard of Zorb needing stripped. I wanted natural fabrics because it seems like they should be better for baby, which is why I chose cloth over sposies in the first place. I'm planning on making AI2 soakers and I'll use them primarily with wool covers.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingahead View Post
Very good point!

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
tandemBFmamaof2
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can just buy a cheap piece of fleece at Joann's and cut it into strips for a liner. Works great, super cheap and less clean-up on your prefold.