Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
yarnjunkie
Registered Users
seller

rash? ammonia burn?

I've been looking at threads on rashes, but nothing seems to describe our situation exactly, so I thought I'd ask for some help. Here is what I have: DD (10 months) has persistent redness on her inner thighs (where the elastic is) and lady parts, but not on her bum. We've been CDing since she was 2 months old, and this has never been a problem until the past few weeks. When I put her in a disposable and slather her with Boudreaux's, it clears up by the next diaper change and is a little scabbed over.

--we use FBs and GMs, and have been using our GMs a bit more recently, since Ive been able to add to my stash during the sale
--I do a cold rinse, hot wash with 1/2 scoop of charlies, cold rinse. (No additional rinse). This has always worked fine for us, and my diapers smell clean coming out of the laundry.
--she does have sensitive skin (at least compared to DS) so I thought maybe the GMs weren't dry enough for her, or the elastic gave her issues. But fleece liners don't seem to do much. And she might wake up fine after a night in a GM and then get red after a couple of hours in the FB.

Any ideas? Good stripping suggestions? Thanks so much!

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Trynitey
Registered Users
seller

Re: rash? ammonia burn?

Even though your diapers come out smelling fine, are you sure that the buildup is coming off of them? You may want to check your last rinse cycle to make sure that there is no bubbles forming. Could be a mineral buildup if it's not a soap buildup. Do you have hard water?
Trynitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was having a rash problem and realized it was from unrinsed detergent. Maybe you could try an extra rinse cycle. I have read many times that Charlie's Soap can cause burns and rashes.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
yarnjunkie
Registered Users
seller

thanks, mamas. No bubbles (I think) in the rinse cycle -- there were clear bubbles that looked like they were from agitation, but not white-ish soap bubbles, if that makes sense. I don't think we have hard water. At least, I don't see any build-up on things (like my toilet and teapot!) like I did at our last house, which had well water. But I did try an additional hot cycle and rinse to see if that helped, and I used a smidge less detergent. I'll let you know how it works!

Last edited by yarnjunkie; 02-12-2010 at 07:17 AM.
yarnjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
LovelyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has the same rash... I washed my diapers ( prefolds mainly) in a super hot wash with no detergent three times. After the rash cleared up, I put him back in the prefolds and guess what... RASH!!! I don't know what it is. I'm frustrated though and just want to stop using cloth. I thought about Gdiapers because the seem to touch less skin and have stay dry inserts but I don't want to spend more for diapers and I may be done with cltoh for good.
I hope you get better results than me.
LovelyMum is offline   Reply With Quote