Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
PurpleMonkey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Question wool or fleece?

I hate PUL. I have a 4-month-old who is VERY chunky in the gut and thighs at 17 pounds, and all my pockets PUL covers (Blueberry and even a MEAF) just leave these red marks on her waist and thighs, even on the largest settings. THEN I feel what's the point of the cover? *THEN* whenever I go coverless in 30 minutes or less we have pee all over the couch/myself/etc. and I resort to a Pamper. I REALLY want to do cloth, but I hate how uncomfortable the PUL is on my baby and how it digs into her precious skin. Please give me advice on what you would do. I am vegan and would even compromise to get some (used) wool if it means my baby girl being comfortable, but is fleece as breathable? I know it's synthetic, but at least it won't dig, right? HELP! Or *IS* there a PUL cover out there that won't hurt my baby's chunk?????

Advertisement

PurpleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
PurpleMonkey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: wool or fleece?

Sorry to be so wordy and tangential, but my main question is for those of you who don't use PUL *why* is it you prefer fleece over wool or wool over fleece?? Thank you!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
3 angels
Registered Users
seller

I had this problem exactly as I mention in the first line of this blog post...
http://mydiapersale.blogspot.com/200...s-diapers.html

I solved it with softbums. I was able to get a custom fit on the extra, extra large thighs and still a normal 3 month size waist. No other cover that I came across had that flexibility. There was a learning curve for me on softbums. It took a week or so to get the fit perfect and a few weeks to get the inserts fully prepped so they wouldn't leak, but now they are 100% of my stash. The system is on the pricey side, but it did fit and I didn't have to try any other kinds of covers, so that's why I kept buying them.

I don't like PUL for night though because it allows ammonia to build up in the diaper, so I'm getting wool and fleece. (Too bad there isn't a wool/fleece softbums diaper cover, I'm having a hard time finding a good fitting wool or fleece cover and have to use sposies at night until I do) The wool is really the best for ammonia I've been told and it only has to be washed every three weeks, but the fleece is the super soft stuff and can be washed with the rest of the diapers. Fleece can be pretty safe at night as long as the diaper is very absorbant. HTH
3 angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I know about chunky... DS was 97th percentile in weight, and 3rd percentile in height at 3 months...

We haven't really used fleece as a diaper cover, but I've made both fleece (for practice sewing) and wool soakers/longies. Fleece is economical and no hassle - machine washable, etc. We chose not to use fleece because we have hard water and I hear this stuff gets stinky after a while. Wool is often wonderfully stretchy and probably the most forgiving on chunky thighs (although you still have to get a good fit and make sure the wool you get is soft and stretchy). However, wool requires a little more care with washing (lanolizing, etc). Personally, I love washing wool - the lanolin makes my hands so soft!

I'd say.... give fleece a try, and see if it solves the issue with the cover digging into your LO's chub. If not, then give wool a try.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
nature momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wool is fantastic but a friend just discovered blueberry os coveralls and they fit her super chunk and her 6 month old! Good luck mama!
nature momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
PurpleMonkey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for your replies! Those softbums look so awesome. I wish there was a way for cloth mamas to be able to try out *ANY* type of diaper risk-free just to see what works and what doesn't. I know about the trials at some online diaper stores, but I wish they had more selection. I think the solution is for there to be like a city/local diapering group where mamas can borrow a dipe for a week and return on the honor system, you know? I know of babywearing groups like that, so why not cloth diapering?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
teachermom78
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a chunkalunk and don't like my PUL for the same reasons as you - ugly red marks

I like fleece and wool, and I think it depends on the situation. I personally prefer fleece b/c it is far less $$ and I can still get cute covers AND the care is really easy - wash in regular or diaper laundry.

Wool is a bit stretchier and can go longer in between washes.

http://libertysbelle.etsy.com For Fleece Soakers, Longies, Legwarmers and Other Goodies

http://stitchinglibertysbelle.blogspot.com For craftiness, tutorials, recipes and more
teachermom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You could get away with 2 used Luxe wool soakers and rotate them. Easy peasy..wash every few weeks. I love our Luxe and they fit DD wonderfully! Good luck!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
eenigmatic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use fleece over wool for three reasons:

1. I am allergic to wool and DS has skin as sensitive as mine...don't want to risk it. Also, it would suck to have my kid in pants that would make me itchy whenever I touched him.

2. I am lazy. I can put fleece soakers in the washer with our dipes or with clothes. Wool requires hand-washing and lanolizing and that just makes me feel like it's tons more work.

3. I am cheap. I don't have $80+ to spend on a pair of wool longies, no matter HOW gorgeous they are. I do have $10 though to spend to get some fleece from the fabric store and have my mom sew me up a couple longies for next to nothing...