Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
mamachrista
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
TTC Baby #2 w/o meds

I kept putting off coming into this forum...I don't know why. DH and I decided to TTC in November when our DD was 13 months old.
To TTC DD we needed fertility drugs. We were SUPER lucky because after a year of trying, and like 5 doctors we finally found someone who had a clue and did an US and saw there was a "string of pearls" around my ovaries and diagnosed me with PCOS. I did 3 months of meds and the first time I ovulated was pregnant with DD! I had a VERY VERY rocky pregnancy...almost lost her at 5 weeks, lots of complications, on bedrest at 30 weeks in hospital on bedrest at 32 weeks and had her at 34 weeks. Would do it again in a New York minute because my DD is the sweetest, most wonderful, beautiful, amazing blessing. She is my existence.
Anyway, we want baby #2 so we went to the doctor to get back on meds and were told that I couldn't take them while BFing DD. HOWEVER, my doctor said she thought we should try this time w/o the meds b/c I lost 50 lbs since I had DD (18 lbs baby weight, rest my good old regular fat), I've had a period every single month since DD was 10 weeks old and she has hopes that the pregnancy may have jumpstarted my ovaries. My OBGYN RN said that PCOS can often be diagnosed even if the doctors aren't sure if they see a barely there "string of pearls" around the ovaries and the woman is having a hard time TTC. So, who knows. Now we're very actively TTC...I have been tracking my periods and figured out WHEN I should ovulate (last night .) and taking it form there.
I don't know how long I want to wait though to see if it works. They say that the normal couple, with no problems should try for a year. I do NOT want to try for a year before finding out there ARE problems and then having to do the meds again. I'm quitting my job in 12 days to be a SAHM and to complete my teaching degree. I'm working on my BS and immediately following will start on my masters. This is the perfect time (for us) for me to have baby #2 because I only go to school part time, every other weekend so I can be home with my babies while they are small. By the time I'm done with my masters, they'll be close to school age. So The idea of waiting a year trying w/o meds...no way! I just wish I KNEW.

I guess I have no real questions...well, maybe, how long would you try before going back to the doctor for meds? Just looking for support etc.

TY !

Advertisement

mamachrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
themrshunt
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: TTC Baby #2 w/o meds

Just wanted to send some your way. We are TTC #1 and have been for 14 months. We tried clomid this cycle so that works. I totally hear you on the not wanting to wait a year before finding out there is something wrong and then have to try the meds. Hope it all goes well for you and the doc is right that the pregnancy jump started your ovaries. GL and I hope your stay here is short.
themrshunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
MadeOfStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you planning to do any OPK stuff (the kits, Ov watch, fertility monitor)? If you do that and have no luck after 3 months or so, I would go back to the doctor, at least for an evaluation. I already know I have fertility issues, so I probably would not try any cycles without something (charting/OPKs/etc.). GL!
C, wife to T (4-1-06), mama to M (11-18-07), TTC #2
ISO
MadeOfStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Hi!! I have PCOS and the best treatment for it is Metformin. Not only was I FINALLY able to get and stay preggo, my PG was not full of complications. I was kept on it for 16 weeks.

After my 2nd son's birth I went back on it as it is better for nursing and losing the PCOS weight we hold on to. I ovulated 6 months on the meds and got my 3rd son!!! Without fertility meds!!! I was on the Metformin for 16 weeks and then started it back up again after DS3 was born. It has been 6 months and we are using OvaTel to see when 'o' returns.

I would suggest getting on Metformin to help you with your PCOS. Once on it for 6 months you will have your hormones regulated enough to reduce the risk of miscarriage greatly (PCOS women have a high rate of early PG loss), possibly ovulate on your own with no fertility medications, and have few PCOS PG related complications.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

GL mama! I'm sure I have pcos, and both lo's were conceived with Clomid and metformin as well as needing Provera. We've been ttc since July with only the use of soy and EPO. But I think I need to lose a bunch of weight first and then I think we will try the met/clomid thing again. I really hope for you that you can conceive w/o any help though. our 2nd pg happened faster than our 1st so I think my body just needed a helpful reminder of what it was supposed to be doing!! FX!!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
newMama9.08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that I'd use charting and OPKs. I'm in the same boat in terms of having PCOS and needing meds before (and now) to O, but I use Fertilaid, and it causes O, even if not 'on time'. (I envy your predictable periods!). I'd chart and use OPKs for a few months, but wouldn't try alone for more than 6 months (I'd prob. only wait 3, but I'm impatient). Of course, if weaning is the only option, that might play into how long you wait... Good luck!
newMama9.08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
mamachrista
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never had a predicatable cycle until after I had DD. It's so weird to get my period every month, right on time, the exact same day!!

I am going to use OPK next month, I think. I told DH I'm only willing to go till May before we go back to the doctor I'm WAY too impatient!!
mamachrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Imogen's_Mum
Registered Users
seller

Pm-d you mama!
for baby #2

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer " Rom. 12:12
Imogen's_Mum is offline   Reply With Quote