Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
WasabiMommi
Banned

My Mood:
Scared to TTC with Cholestasis

I feel like I am stressing really hard all of the sudden. I guess I am realizing that September isn't so far away (that is when we agreed to ttc #2). I had baaad morning sickness the first two trimesters with DD. I could hold little down and had no appetite. I was also exhausted all the time. I had horrible heart burn, too. I am really scared of how that is going to affect my mommy abilities this next time around.

But, my biggest concern is the Cholestasis. I have something like a 90% chance of having it again. I would say my case was on the lower end of the sever side of the scale. I was itching so bad I was bleeding (even my mouth itched!) It was so bad I didn't sleep for dayyyys. It scared the crap out of me. DD was born a few weeks preterm, actually, it was later that night after they made me scheduled a c-section. I was no longer allowed to try to birth naturally at the birth center. Thank God I listened and didn't try a home birth because, after laboring for 12 hours I ended up with an emergency c-section. The babys heart rate was dropping waaaaay low and she was breech. I thought for sure both of us were going to die. DD was 5lbs, jaundiced and had swallowed A LOT of miconium. I need some support ladies, anyone else go through Cholestasis of pregnancy??? Sorry for my vent, I am just really stressing over it lately.

Oh, and my cholestasis went undiagnosed until about 2 or 3 days before I delivered. I had to demand the tests. My midwife didnt want to take them because she said 'Well, its really rare and you probably don't have it'. UGH!

Advertisement

Last edited by WasabiMommi; 02-16-2010 at 07:42 PM.
WasabiMommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
beccapope
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Scared to TTC with Cholestasis

I cannot even begin to understand how difficult Cholestasis was for you. that must have been soooo hard!
I did have severe nausea and vomiting during the entire first four months of my last pregnancy. I also suffered from anxiety and depression. I am very worried as well about becoming pregnant again, but it is something I do want more than anything. I think talking about your feelings like this is important and also set up a good support system for yourself BEFORE pregnancy.
you are not alone out there, and surly you can even find some other mamas on here (or elsewhere) who have who have suffered from Cholestasis, who can offer some comfort.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
WasabiMommi
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccapope View Post
I cannot even begin to understand how difficult Cholestasis was for you. that must have been soooo hard!
I did have severe nausea and vomiting during the entire first four months of my last pregnancy. I also suffered from anxiety and depression. I am very worried as well about becoming pregnant again, but it is something I do want more than anything. I think talking about your feelings like this is important and also set up a good support system for yourself BEFORE pregnancy.
you are not alone out there, and surly you can even find some other mamas on here (or elsewhere) who have who have suffered from Cholestasis, who can offer some comfort.

Thanks, I do just feel like I need to talk about it more than anything. Being pregnant sucked for me. Of course I loved feeling my baby! But, I was so sick, in pain and uncomfortable. It didn't help that my mom was going through a break up with my step dad and she was very negative through the entire thing. She pretended her pregnancies were a breeze! I am not looking forward to going through all that again but, hopefully this time it will be better. We now know of my condition, my mom is away from that jerk and I dont have to worry about having a job through it!
WasabiMommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
beccapope
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I do believe the more you talk about your feelings the better off you will be. if you ever need to vent please feel free to PM me. I know that is what I needed the most when pregnant and sick all the time is to talk to someone who cares and sometimes that cant be DH (KWIM?)
also wanted to mention that my mom was not so supportive during my pregnancy. she had the philosophy that you should just tough it out and it was no big deal! anyway I wanted to mention that I saw a therapist during my pregnancy and it made all the difference. Even if you are not suffering from depression; it can be invaluable for support for pregnancy troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasabiMommi View Post
Thanks, I do just feel like I need to talk about it more than anything. Being pregnant sucked for me. Of course I loved feeling my baby! But, I was so sick, in pain and uncomfortable. It didn't help that my mom was going through a break up with my step dad and she was very negative through the entire thing. She pretended her pregnancies were a breeze! I am not looking forward to going through all that again but, hopefully this time it will be better. We now know of my condition, my mom is away from that jerk and I dont have to worry about having a job through it!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have it and many of us on here have it. This is our 3rd pregnancy and listen - I'm due in 4wks and had only 1 episode this time. I have my bloodwork done for my liver weekly and strongly feel you're freaking over nothing.
If your OB already has taken note you had it and yes, you will likely have it again but Sarna lotion and Benadryl work wonders. If your bloodwork comes back and your OB says it's time to deliver, then it's time to deliver.
There are 2 of us in Due in march that have it and another mom who actually just delivered early (not induced). Both my kids came 2 and 3wks early and they were fine. I expect this one to as well and both my mother and mother-in-law delivered early so if it's the ICP, baby just deciding it's time or genetics, I don't know but ICP is controllable and there are W A Y worse things that can happen than this.
Let your mom deal with her own problems and if she cannot be supportive, accept what she can offer and let the rest slide. Your pregnancy should be regarded as life's greatest gift and NO 2 pregnancies are alike. Her's were long ago and some things stand out in our minds while other things fade. My mom had 'prefect and wonderful pregnancies'. She felt 'like a million bucks'. The world couldn't stop her.
My mother-in-law also had the perfect pregnancies. Well, there are 2 other sets of genes in the mix as well, there. 2 grandfathers' genes and like I said, no 2 pregancies are alike.
Listen, ICP/Obstetric Cholestasis really sucks but take an antihistamine (Chlor-Tripton/Benadryl/Reactine), use Sarna Lotion for your hands, feet, wherever external, drink T O N N E S of water and flush that liver, no fatty, fried, greasy foods - only 'clean' foods. Also avoid processed foods. You CAN manage it and it goes away after the baby's delivered.
A breech baby has nothing to do with your Cholestasis and it sounds like that's why you had the C-section. The itch is from the ICP and that, you can control. An Obstetrician will diagnose your ICP and send you for the neccessary battery of tests. I am not knocking midwives but they don't take 8yrs of University and there's a reason babies are born in hospitals.
Don't lose sleep over something that doesn't exsist yet and let mom deal with her own problems. It was her marriage, you couldn't fix it.
Your ICP is manageable and you may NOT get it again. If you do, deal with it then and now you know Benadry and Sarna Lotion will be your best friends. If you don't get wkly blood tests (starting in the last month) then yes, there are risks but if your are seeing a Physician, you will be properly cared for.
Stop freaking over nothing woman!
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote