Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
lowder462
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
knitting question?

How many do I cast on when knitting in the round? I've researched it and it seems really complicated, hoping one of you ladies can tell me how many is enough! Thanks!

Advertisement

lowder462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Re: knitting question?

You have to do a little math. Once you have your childs measurements, and have knit a guage swatch, then just multiply x stitches/inch by your childs waist. For example, if they have a 20" waist and you're knitting at 5 stitches/inch then you would need 100 stitches total. Simple as that What pattern are you using?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
lowder462
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitchell98 View Post
You have to do a little math. Once you have your childs measurements, and have knit a guage swatch, then just multiply x stitches/inch by your childs waist. For example, if they have a 20" waist and you're knitting at 5 stitches/inch then you would need 100 stitches total. Simple as that What pattern are you using?
I've used the pimp my longies and tiny birds organics pattern. I learned how to knit with straight needles first and sew them together, i've knit 3 longies. Now that I sorta know what i'm doing i'm going to knit in the round. I ordered round needles so once they arrive I want to start knitting for my 4 yr old, her measurements are 21 waist, 19 rise, 16 inseam. I really like the knit pants to be flared and loose around legs. Any advice on what pattern to use that's easy enough for me to do would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Well, for a free longies pattern the audrey doodlepants is great. It's also pretty easy to read and follow. I've never knit the 2 patterns that you mentioned. As far as the leg goes, I always add some increases once I split so that they fit pretty loose. With a 21 inch waist, I'm assuming that you'll have 100-120ish stitches (depending on your yarn/guage) so when you split for the legs you'll probably have 50-60 stitches per leg. When I have 50 stitches, I usually increase it to around 65 for my son (who's legs have no meat on them) and this works perfect for him. You can always measure around her thigh and do your math again to find out how many to increase. And add a few extra in if you want them larger.

The sheepy pants pattern is great if you want to buy a pattern and the picky pants pattern is good too.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
lowder462
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitchell98 View Post
Well, for a free longies pattern the audrey doodlepants is great. It's also pretty easy to read and follow. I've never knit the 2 patterns that you mentioned. As far as the leg goes, I always add some increases once I split so that they fit pretty loose. With a 21 inch waist, I'm assuming that you'll have 100-120ish stitches (depending on your yarn/guage) so when you split for the legs you'll probably have 50-60 stitches per leg. When I have 50 stitches, I usually increase it to around 65 for my son (who's legs have no meat on them) and this works perfect for him. You can always measure around her thigh and do your math again to find out how many to increase. And add a few extra in if you want them larger.

The sheepy pants pattern is great if you want to buy a pattern and the picky pants pattern is good too.
Great i'll go and check it out. Thanks for your time!