Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Eggless Vegetarian Food

I am debating on making something for my friend who is going to be delivering her baby soon. Any suggestions for an eggless veggie dish that is easy to transport or store? I was thinking maybe some cheesy broccoli soup or some potato leek soup, but not sure if those are universally liked. I could just do a macaroni and cheese for her I guess?

Thanks!
Kristin

Advertisement

Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Eggless Vegetarian Food

Google Ellie Krieger and 4 Cheese Penne Pasta for a YUMMY recipe that can be prepared and refrigerated (or frozen) and then your friend can bake it when she wants it...no eggs, but does contain dairy.

Lentils cooked together with brown rice and some spices and tomato paste is good too...can add yogurt or sour cream upon serving if desired. (Google hillbilly housewife and lentils and rice taco style to get the recipe. I always tweak it though.)
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

veggie lasagna rollups?

After I had my kids I always wanted a steak! So maybe the veggie equivalent would be a bean salad or some kind of hearty bean dish thats high in protein and iron?
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
SazBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've found this great grain (or is it a seed?) called SALBA- you can grind it in a coffee grinder, add water, and it becomes very egg-like! My mom has been on a vegan diet for several months to deal with cholesterol issues, and she has been using this as an egg substitute in cooking recipes with great success!

Sorry, no great ideas here, just wanted to pass along the Salba idea- so many people have never heard of it before!

Congrats to your friend! So nice of you to cook for them!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users

A veggie lasagna would work. My son is allergic to eggs, so we just omit the eggs for the cheese mixture. (We actually use cottage cheese instead of ricotta, so the texture doesn't even change in that regard.) After I had my youngest, a friend brought over a veggie lasagna with shredded carrots, diced tomatoes, and zucchini, maybe more veggies (I can't remember!) It was so good!
Heyheybaby83 is offline   Reply With Quote