Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
jodi5
Registered Users

Re: anyone know what's up at the Pin?

I have been having problems. Sometimes I can get on and sometimes I can't. I was on earlier but not now, I coudln't get on a couple of times in the last couple of days but the rest of the time was fine.

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #12
gr33nie
Registered Users
seller

I've been trying periodically throughout the day on firefox and internet explorer with no luck

So sad, I want to go update some stuff on the co-op I'm hosting. Hopefully it will be up soon.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #13
gr33nie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by navars2
if they don't get that fixed, it will only be a matter of time for those who can get there.
wait, what does that mean?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #14
gr33nie
Registered Users
seller

woo hoo

just got on
Old 06-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33nie
wait, what does that mean?
The domain registration has been fixed so this should be a non-issue now but I'll try to explain for anyone who may be interested anyway. Basically, there is a phone book that everyone has to pay to be registered in. If you are not registered in it, people can not get to your website using a name. This phone book says http://www.diaperpin.com is located at this street address (IP address). The domain registry defines the domain name (diaperpin.com) and where to find the phone book information for that domain as well as which real life person is paying for the domain and all that fun. From there, there is something called DNS (Domain Name Service) which is the phone book for everyone. When you try to go to any webpage that has a name (not just numbers like 192.168.4.2) or send email or anything, this phone book is consulted.

The long and the short of it is that the Domain registration had not been paid for next year. This means that all of the phone book information was removed and unavailable. Depending which phone book you look the info up in, though, it is not all removed at the same time. It could be upwards of a week before the old information is removed. Or it could be immediate. You can consult different phone books during a day (or even an hour or minute). In general, there are two or three phone books that you may look for your info in. Depending on which one is least busy. This is why you may see intermittent access. As time went on without the domain registration being renewed, though, more and more of these phone books would of had the information removed.

Hopefully that makes some sense.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #16
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

interesting! thanks for the info.
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote