Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: hmm, what he wants or what we want him to have?

I'd go for the bike and one small train. If you can't get the train too, I'd ask grandparents/friends to get him some GeoTrax. I do tend to get my kids what I think they need (with regard to toys), especially at that age. But, if there is something specific they want, I try to accommodate in a way that works for our budget too.

Oh that reminds me, my older son, just about to turn 4 at the time, wanted this pirate ship for his b-day. (Made by Imaginext) He already had the regular navy type ship by the same company. But, he saw it in a catalog and really wanted it. I was really against spending my money for his birthday on something I really felt he didn't need. So, instead of us buying it, we set in motion a plan for him to start to learn about saving and earning money. He helped out around the house and earned money with the intention of saving up to buy his boat. Now, when I saw the ship he wanted go on sale for $10 less than the normal price, I went and bought it so he could get it at a sale price when he did have the money. He saved up his $25 (some from b-day money) and ended up buying his ship around Christmas time. His B-day was in Oct. I had him pay me and I gave him the boat. (I would have preferred him to buy it at the store, but I wanted him to get it for less when it was on sale.) He was so thrilled to have bought his ship on his own. It was very special to him. Now, does he play with it often, nope. He does play with it some though. Anyway, it was a win/win situation. He got his boat. I didn't have to buy it for him for his birthday. You son is a year younger than mine was, but maybe you could try that.

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
Rebeldream
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: hmm, what he wants or what we want him to have?

I'd respect his request and get him GeoTrax. Maybe get the bike for Easter? Or just as a random summer "surprise"?

Swagbucks Pre-PL'ing Diaper Stash My Love of Cloth Rebel MCloth Tutorial

Last edited by Rebeldream; 03-03-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Rebeldream is offline   Reply With Quote