Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Stranger Danger

I have two questions about this:

1. How do you teach it?
2. What resources are out there to help me teach it?

Advertisement

Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stranger Danger

We love the Berenstain Bears books for introducing topics. The stories are short, easy to follow, clear cut, and give good examples. Learn About Strangers is on Amazon if you can't find it in any local stores or at your library.

After reading the book we talked about what to do if DS ever got separated from us, and what to do if someone ever tried to take him or get him to go with them. Our rules are that if he ever gets separated, he needs to sit down and not go anywhere. If an adult offers to take him to find us or find a security guard or police man, he is to say no, that he's not allowed to go with a stranger even to find help, and the police need to come to him. If someone tries to pressure him to go with them anyway or tries to take him, he knows to scream "You're not my mom/dad!" and kick, hit, bite, whatever it takes. We took him into an empty field far from other houses and practiced screaming so if the time ever came to do it, he wouldn't feel uncomfortable. (I'm an uncomfortable screamer. I'm always scared I wouldn't be able to scream if I was in danger!)

He knows our address (number and street), DH's and my first names (it's scary how many lost children don't know their parents' names), and where DH works, so he could provide that info to the police if needed. All good to know if he ever has to call 911, too.

We also took the stranger conversation as an opportunity to talk about inappropriate touches. He knows that his penis and bottom are his own private property and no one else can touch them. He's old enough now to wash himself, but at the time he still needed help in the tub, so we did put in the caveat that DH and I, and grandparents were allowed to touch him to help wash in the tub but only in the tub and only enough to get clean.