Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleep and nap supernanny style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you are doing things. No, it is not the choice that others might make but there are some kids that need no distractions in order to get to sleep. I never could rock/pat/etc my older to sleep. She gets overstimulate really quickly and we did end up taking a much firmer approach to her napping. Since I work home daycare, I am well aware that some kids are fighters and others are not. It is more about working with your child's personality. If other things you have tried are not working and this is, then I would go with it and not feel guilty for the choice. She needs a nap and you need time with just the baby. It is a very big adjustment to add a new baby so just hang in there. Cut yourself some slack and don't let mommy guilt creep in and make you doubt every decision. You know your kids best. Good luck!
Very good advice mama!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you are doing things. No, it is not the choice that others might make but there are some kids that need no distractions in order to get to sleep. I never could rock/pat/etc my older to sleep. She gets overstimulate really quickly and we did end up taking a much firmer approach to her napping. Since I work home daycare, I am well aware that some kids are fighters and others are not. It is more about working with your child's personality. If other things you have tried are not working and this is, then I would go with it and not feel guilty for the choice. She needs a nap and you need time with just the baby. It is a very big adjustment to add a new baby so just hang in there. Cut yourself some slack and don't let mommy guilt creep in and make you doubt every decision. You know your kids best. Good luck!

My oldest would go to bed with a few pats, but my younger 2 needed a more firm hand. I followed supernanny style with my 5 year old and my 21 month old and It does work! You have to be very consistent though. I put my dd in a big bed at 17 months. Our crib was recalled and as she is my last we didn't want to buy another crib. I have a baby gate on the door so I didn't have to worry about the stairs. I now put her in bed, read a story, give her a kiss and walk out. I shut the doors in my home, to keep noise from her older brothers out. She goes down at 7pm
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you're doing it "right" by supernanny standards. Couldn't tell you if it works/worked for us though...I can't do the whole no emotion thing with my kiddos and very very much do NOT belive in CIO under any circumstances, and I feel that this approach pretty much condones it.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have honestly never had too many issues about this. And all my children are really close in age (2, 1, 7mo.) All of them HAVE to take a nap in their room and there is no if, ands or buts. I DS#1 and DS#2 in toddler beds around 18mo. and right when I did that, I had a problem with them getting up and coming out, and I would just tell them to go get in bed and shut their door...and thats what they did. Them getting out of bed lasted only like a wk. because I was consistent and didn't budge. They know the rules, and they are expected to follow them. My 2yr. old (will be 3 in May) never gets out of his bed ever during naptime or bedtime. My 1yr. old (will be 2 the last wk. in April) occasionally gets out of his bed and comes out the door, but not very often. He still gets out of bed and rolls around on the floor and is loud occasionally (which is also a no no {naptime is for sleeping, not talking or playing at our house...and no lights are on, or t.vs, or music...and no toys in the bed}) I will give him 1 verbal warning. If he gets out again, he gets a light spanking, and the 3rd time he's on the floor he gets a more firm spanking. He then will not get out of bed anymore and will just go to sleep.

The fighting it will soon pass if you're consistent.

Yes, you are doing it right (although the door cracked would give my kids ideas and be too noisy).

Yes it works, my kids never put up a fight, and do as their told at sleep times.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleep and nap supernanny style! UPDATE

updated!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
Kayleen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Consistancy is key. Of course there are days where my 2yo DD just will not take a nap at all. Still rare, but it does happen. Hang in there.
Kayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The first day is always the hardest.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #18
doodah
Registered Users
seller

great update! don't forget there WILL be challenging days at random in the future. Stay consistent!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote