Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Checking out a preschool- do I take DS with me?

Or do they expect it to be only parents? It is an openhouse on a saturday.

TIA

Advertisement

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Checking out a preschool- do I take DS with me?

Just call and see. If you have a very active child, I would go alone. That way you can really observe everything, talk to the teacher, meet other parents. Only you know what your kid can handle.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

I took my son when we looked at day cares as I wanted to see his reaction and how they interacted with him - did the staff try to engage him while talking to me or just ignore him when talking to me, etc...granted, its an open house, but still. Make sure to do one drop in unannounced just to see what's going on. I had a few day cares refuse and it really made me wonder why no one would talk to me without an appt or let me see. I had my son, so it was clear it wasn't a scam, etc...most would engage him as he's a big smiley flirt, but others were interesting and showed no interest - which is fine but as a day care worker showing no interest worried me as either (a) they are just tired, (b) having a bad day and just had enough with kids, (c) they don't know how to engage kids... and either way worried me...the one we picked was very engaging (but it didn't work out as I needed two more weeks to start with them and boss wouldn't give it to me). Open houses are great for an overview, but I don't want a show, I want to see what goes on. I was shocked at one that I though would be really good and they did massive bottle propping and thought nothing of it (and this one I had an appt). I ran out of there real quick. (But, I'm paranoid mom).
Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I agree to make at least one other drop in when they are under their normal schedule. It is important to see the interaction between the current kids and the workers.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote