Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
My Mood:
DS's first birthday

DS will be 1 yr in the first week of April and I have no clue what to do to celebrate. He is the only grandchild on either side and most of his cousins are 4-5 years and older. We'll probably just do some small get together with the grandparents, but I have no idea what would be worthy of a 1st b-day.

So what did you do for boy's first b-day?

Did you get cake or something like that?

What did you get him for a present?

What did you dress him in?

Did you make him anything special for food that day?

DS goes to Day Care. If yours did too, did you do some small thing at the day care (I remember my mom doing this for my 3rd birthday)?

Other suggestions? Am I missing something?

Yvonne (45), WAHM, , DH (39) , RJ (5yrs) , VL (4yrs) , RH (EDD 7/15/14)
JAG's baby mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Baby Jake's Mom
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: DS's first birthday

For jake's 1st b-day my husband and I took the day off and went swimming (Jake likes swimming) then we looked at cars (very easily entertained at this age - he loves wheels and steering wheels! lol) We rented a room at our local civic centre and we had supper there. We had jake's favorite food - lasagne and my friend made and decorated a cake for him. He didn't wear anything special as it would have been covered in lasagne. We invited about 10 of our family members and that was it. It was lots of fun, and I think jake enjoyed it. The guests brought him some small presents and we got him some books.
Wife to J, mommy to Jake 'n' Bake 02/09, Samwich and our angel in heaven 03/08
Baby Jake's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

My DS will be one on April 3rd.
On his birthday we're taking him to a Phillies game.
The next day we're doing a sort of open house birthday party since our current house is so small. I don't want 50 people in my house all at once, so I'll give everyone a 5 hour time frame to come and visit.
I'm just planning on having snack foods - veggies and dip, a fruit tray, finger sandwiches, etc, and cupcakes rather than a big cake. I'll order a pizza or 2 for anyone who happens to be here at our dinner time.

I was going to have a special outfit made, but I procrastinated, so he'll probably just wear something cute from his own closet. We're not planning on getting him anything. He's too young to know the difference, and our families love to shop, so I'm sure he'll be swimming in gifts.
Robbyn, SAHM to Silas, 4/3/09 and Griffin, 3/23/12
bezark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

DS turned 1 on Jan 30th. I made special cupcakes with "One fish Two fish" candy pieces to decorate. (I used to be a pastry chef...) I got him a ride-on rocking boat (used, off craigslist) but he hasn't gotten to ride it yet as our renovations aren't done and we haven't got the room.

He wore the suit my mother bought for Christmas that never got worn. (Went to midnight mass and then never got him out of his reindeer pajamas the next day - LOL!)

We had a bunch of friends over for gossip and snackies, but other than that, tried to go pretty low key. The invitation said "no gifts, but thanks for your company," which was only sort of successful DS still got a huge amount of stuff - mostly small books from other folks with kids, but four bags of toys and clothes from Grandma. (sigh.)

Anyway, hope it is memorable, whatever you choose. Oh, and don't freak out if he cries. I have yet to be at a first birthday where the kid didn't get a bit overwhelmed at some point. Even my very gregorious DS burst into performance-anxiety tears when presented with the lit cake.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
No Longer Here
My Mood:

Tay will be 1 on the 13th of april. WE got some stuff from Party City to decorate the house and plan to invite some friends of my other kids age over. I did get him a custom outfit made
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote