Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
www.ClothDecisions.com
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy How do I keep him from...

Tearing all the pages out of dd books? I don't know how to stop the destruction short of taking all the books away.

I watch a friends little one a few days a week and he has this thing for destroying books. He does it at home and he is doing it at my house now too. We don't spend loads of $$ on dd's books but I can't afford to replace them as they get ripped up and I'm totally at a loss here. The latest book was a pop-up musical book that dd got as a Christmas present. She was too young for it at Christmas and we just gave it to her Monday evening. She doesn't know that her new book is all ripped up and she is looking for it! 20 months old and she has her favorite everything...this was the *new* favorite book.

So, how do you show or tell or teach a 18 month old that ripping up pages of books is not okay? Has anyone tried a certain tactic with success? I need advice so I can work on this when the kids are together next.

Advertisement

www.ClothDecisions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Bug-a-boo's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: How do I keep him from...

Hi~
The only advice I have to offer is to remove the books. I would keep the books in a different location, that the little boy can't get to, while he is in your care. Any of my sons delicate books are out of his reach. Every once he a while I will give him one and without fail he will damage it in some way. So I just keep those books at a level he can't reach. Not the most fair thing for your daughter, but you have got to do what is needed to protect the books.

I have gotten $1 hard books at Target (dollar section at front) and at Dollar Tree. Actually cute books too.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I keep him from...

i put all the rippable books on a shelf out of reach, and only supply board books in reach

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
www.ClothDecisions.com
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janendragon View Post
i put all the rippable books on a shelf out of reach, and only supply board books in reach
Well, I DID put that book out of reach. He climbed on furniture to get it...

I did just move all the books though.
www.ClothDecisions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysmomma View Post
Well, I DID put that book out of reach. He climbed on furniture to get it...

I did just move all the books though.
in that case full removal to another room

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Phooey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All our "good" children's books are safely tucked away in the boys' bedrooms.

All the daycare books are fair game on a shelf in the playroom. I usually go to library sales or even to the local elementary school libraries and stock up when they do their sorting (I've gone home with TRUNKFULLS of books FREE from our local schools) and tossing. They're already beat up, so it doesn't matter if they get destroyed.

Otherwise, just in general, when one of the little ones does something like that that I want them not to get used to doing, I make an angry face, and firmly (and a little louder than usual) say, "NO! We are gentle with our books." and take the book away from them and show them how to treat the book nicely (depends on age, though). Most of them get a frown and the message that whatever they were doing was not a good thing. Usually it takes repetition.

Phooey on book destroyers
Kim, WIFE to an amazing hubby, MOM to Duncan (12 - early teenager syndrome), Jensen (10 - middle child syndrome), two angels, Rowan (3 - preschooler syndrome), and Kaylen Grace (born 10/29/10 - Down syndrome).
Phooey is offline   Reply With Quote